PDA

View Full Version : Stripped cylinder head cover bolt

thkbaron
10-26-2013, 01:06 PM
So I was finally going to get around to resealing the cylinder head cover on my 85 250sx. Low and behold one of the bolts was stripped on it. Wish I would have actually looked at that years ago when I got it. So from what I can see, my options are helicoil, tapping it bigger or replacing the cylinder head. It's not leaking at the point attached to the jug so I really don't like that idea. I'm inclined to do the second route since it's going to be way cheaper. (I already have a tap set) Are people tapping this hole while it's on the machine? I am going to try a longer bolt though. I'm sure it doesn't bottom out immediately after the bolt gets tight. Suggestions? If I go helicoil, does anyone have a good source to get the kit I need. Apparently my bolt is an M8x1.0.

Dave_D
10-26-2013, 01:10 PM
If it were me I'd tap it bigger. And I'm OCD so I'd do them all to have the same bolts lol
That or like you said helicoil. Don't have a source though. Good luck with it though
I wouldn't bother replacing the head
I know I'm new here but opinions always help decisions in my eyes
See what others have to say aswell.

thkbaron
10-26-2013, 05:11 PM
it looks like I got lucky. I found a slightly longer bolt and it's biting so apparently there is some more room below it! It bottomed out so I think that's going to work. I might just have to buy more of them though so they do match! haha