PDA

View Full Version : NewMember. New Trike.

250es AKA Sarge
10-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Brad. Had a 3 wheeler when I was younger and my older brother and I put a lot of miles on that 84 200. We went allover the mountains of North Washington And North Idaho.
Finally got another 1 at the age of 35. I picked him up for $650.00.
All original tank and plastics. All present and accounted for.
Bent bars/broken front brake lever/rust on all the racks and wheels.
Plastics are not broke and have some deep scratches here and there.

I sandblasted the worst parts and sanded the others.
All have been re-painted and he is starting to look good. Everything works accept when I shift the gear shifter does not always return.

I bought a pin on bike bandit that I think will fix that. This poor guy has hauled out deer every year since new and was subject to mule duty dragging around whatever needed on a farm. Runs like a champ. The previous owner laughed and told me when he got it from his brother 10 or so years ago. That he hadn't ever changed the oil?

I got this thing home and the trike was mumbling that he would run and not cost me money. You could almost see the trike slinking away to the darkest corner of my garage for what he assumed would be more neglectful treatment in the dark until needed.
You can tell this thing maintenance wise got the smelly end of the stick but has been silently soldering on for years.

That's why ill call him Sarge. I keep him in front of the older 4 wheelers I have and he is starting to show his youthful luster. Front forks rebuilt cleaned/new seals/new boots and fresh atf put in. New wheel bearings n seals. New bars/grips/ and front brake lever. Fresh paint on all racks/ wheels/ hubs rear swing ARM as well as forks and rear shock.

Plastics were sanded and polished. Not to perfection but to a nice sheen. He will get ridden and maintained as needed. Has a new front tire. Rear wheel bearings look good.
Needs swing ARM bearings and I differential rebuild kit. Both sets on order.
Ordered a carb rebuild kit and choke cable as well.

Wiring harness connections cleaned and or made better/ crimping on new connections and soldering where needed with heat shrink. You can see this old trike starting to look and feel like a kid again. I usually get really attached to my stuff/ specially mechanical things.
I take care if them like they are my kids.

The carberator wad almost a loss. Thank god for hammer drivers. The low idle circuit adjustment screw broke off and needed to be drilled out. I think I got lucky.
Bigger bits in succesion till the old was as thick as foil.

I did jack up the threads a bit. I put grease on the new screw and worked it back one forth and was able to get it te seat all the way. I just hope the o ring at the bottom will still seal the way it should. I hoped the new front wheel bearings would take care of a wobble I have in the bars when I let go. It is really quite noticeable on pavement. You can see where the wheel turns by the front brake drum that it goes up and down. Bent wheel?
The axle seemed good when rolled on the counter!

I love this trike. He is going to be a member if the family for a long time. I even bought a new used boot for the swinger where it mounts to the drive axle.
That's where the water got in.
I am not looking forward to this rear diff overhaul at all.
I will need to make special tools to make this happen. I will see it through though.
I would like to give this guy the respect he deserves.
Also the front axle where it screws into the fork! Well/ the threads in th for are stripped the axle does not tighten. It's not going anywhere but I don't like it.
I guess ill re tap the for to accept the axle threads.

I'm hoping the shifter non return issue is just a pin.
I will drain the gas again clean the tank/ original with vaccume dent and light rust here and there.
Light rust here and there inside/ no holes. Seat cover is quite decent supprisingly!
Of course he will get a couple of oil changes and a new filter.
He will get ridden and maintained/ won't be a beauty queen but it will look dam nice when done.

Other than that if I brake something I fix it. It's my therapy.

I'm glad to be aboard. I hope my typing and spelling is good enough for everyone.
This was all done on my phone. I'll try to get some pics up so you guys can see this bad boy.
I wish I took before and after pics.
I should have learned that with my truck. Doh!

Any tips on the diff/ shifter/ or stripped threads in the fork would be appreciated.

Glad to be part of the community. Thanks all.

250es AKA Sarge
10-27-2013, 12:11 PM
179607 1985 250es it will be pretty decent when done.

250es AKA Sarge
10-27-2013, 12:12 PM
179608 Another pic.

250es AKA Sarge
10-27-2013, 03:16 PM
179618 front end

250es AKA Sarge
10-27-2013, 03:18 PM
179619 more front

zppeacock
10-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Welcome Fellow Wisconsin Rider

250es AKA Sarge
10-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks. What part of Wisconsin are you from. Is that a 185 in the pic?

King Trikester
10-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Very nice big red in my eyes, the only ones that I've ever seen around my parts are used and abused and left out in the Sun for dead or parts pirates. maybe yours cleaned up really good, either way It looks great. I'm glad to see another atc fall into the Right hands, another 30 years some one else might get to own it and enjoy it. Props to you sir. Welcome

Big G
10-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Good work Captain! Looks like Sarge went from abused and battered donkey to king of the stable! ha ha. Anyways, always nice to see a trike land in the hands of someone who's gonna look after it.

Welcome to the site :beer

250es AKA Sarge
10-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the positive remarks. I was looking for 1 of these for a while. I'm suprised the plastics aren't more faded to.
It looks like it was at least stored inside for the most part.
The air filter was a mouse nest and the frame was packed solid with crap.

A coat hanger and some air got it out for the most part.
The boot was disconnected at the frame up to the snorkle.
It has been quite a bit of work getting him fixed up but well worth it.
Lots to go!
You can tell it has been worked but the racks were spared as far as bends go.
My garage is pretty much an old barn. The wind comes rite through and it lacks good lighting.
But I have power and it beats laying in the dirt.
I've done my share of that.
I'll post more pics as I go. Thanks guys!

Big G
10-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Well if you have a concrete floor to work on you're doing better than me! I used one of the portable pop-up shelter's set up on our gravel parking lot to work in. I'm looking forward to building a shop soon. Anyways, keep us posted as things progress with Sarge!

JasonB
10-31-2013, 11:05 AM
looking good! welcome to the boards!

ScreaminRed
11-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Nice work and welcome!

Liquid-Darkness
11-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Cool trike. Side view looks decent.

250es AKA Sarge
11-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Some progress pics. Ordered a new muffler off e bay.
Rear end is rebuilt as well as the swing arm. Had to make a tool for the rear differential but I was able to research what others had done and make my own tool. He's coming.g180626 al0ong.

250es AKA Sarge
11-12-2013, 01:46 AM
Some progress pics. Ordered a new muffler off e bay.
Rear end is rebuilt as well as the swing arm. Had to make a tool for the rear differential but I was able to research what others had done and make my own tool. He's coming.g180626 al0ong.

250es AKA Sarge
11-12-2013, 01:49 AM
I can't seem to get more than 1 pic in each post?180627

250es AKA Sarge
11-12-2013, 01:57 AM
180630180629 pic.

Daniel86
11-13-2013, 12:54 AM
Sarge that is a fine looking machine sir.