PDA

View Full Version : How to put gear oil in 1985 Yamaha 225 drs/dx

thug51491
10-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone! My problem is there is a noise coming from the rear end. There was a wet spot in the grass
where it used to be parked I simply thought it was just engine oil from when it use to leak oil ( that's fixed )
So I bought 80-90 gear oil I think I know where to put it but I'm not sure and if I am right the bolt is a real pain! 179620

dougspcs
10-27-2013, 07:47 PM
That is the right place and yes they can be a pain to remove..

But more importantly you said NOISE!!

I think you are in for more that just 'how do I add fluid'...

Best grab the online manual and follow the directions on how to remove the rear axle and see what's going on..probably have the makings of a bearing failure.

You should deal with this before something grenades!!

thug51491
10-27-2013, 11:33 PM
thanks for responding! well i'm hoping when I finally get that darn bolt out it will quiet down. it's not too bad it sounds dry. but then again its making a little noise so I probably will have to tear it down or switch out rear ends completely. but on the bright side I have another nearly complete trike of the same model for parts.

ps2fixer
11-01-2013, 09:19 AM
I have a quad with the same type of problem, sadly it is full of fluid, so I'm sure it atleast needs a rebuild. That is the correct spot, my allen wrench kit didn't work for the cap, so a large set of channel locks worked well. Mine don't have the rear end guard though.