PDA

View Full Version : New from CT with a 200s and 300R project

bigdaddyvw185
10-28-2013, 08:45 PM
how's it going guys, some of you guys no me already from .org but for those who i have not met i have a 84 200s and came across a 84 300R this past April that i am currently restoring bottom up with the help and knowledge of a bunch of guys from this site and .org.
anyways my 300R had a blown top end and was already at 76.50MM, so i have been searching and searching
for a 76.75mm piston (i already have rings) and was over on the pilot odyssey forum and posted up a wanted
ad for 300R parts, i was contacted by a great guy names Pete (he said he was a member here and on .org
but i cannot remember his username) anyways he had some parts available including a NOS 300R cylinder, at the
end of the day i ended up taking the cylinder a set of standard rings and a headgasket off his hands. i just got them in this morning.

so all i need to find now is a 76mm piston, and i am good to go. and for the future i am in fairly good shape
also i already have a 76.25 ring set, 76.50 ring and piston, and a 76.75 ring set.
Glad to be a member to this site! and to all of those who iv met before thanks for all the help and guidance i
have already received from you! because as you guys already no i am learning as i go and would have been
lost long ago if it wasnt for these sites!
thanks alot!

ScreaminRed
11-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Welcome to this site! Let's see some pics of your 200s and the build in progress. :)

Flossyb20
11-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Awesome...I love getting NOS parts in the mail! Any plans for your other 300r cylinder? I might be interested in taking that off your hands... Any plans to mod your 300r engine? I know a few guys who set it up to run the trx 330 piston, which is much easier to get, but requires shaving the bottom of your cylinder. My brother's done some pretty nasty mods to his 300r (full race ports and such), and could probably answer any questions you might have.

bigdaddyvw185
11-01-2013, 11:26 PM
the 200s i picked up on a trade, ended up trading a 1971 sears suburban tractor that had no compression for it, tho the 200s was not in the best condition ether but with a carb rebuild kit and some TLC it has been turned into a nice little rider. i actually just got a hondaline headlight guard in a couple days ago, just finished sand
blasting it and painting it tonight so when i get it installed tomorrow i will snap some more pics. also my father
and myself managed to fabricate a skid plate up which has served me well.
180118 180119

As for the 300R build, its been a semi slow process and when i purchased the trike i did not even realize that
the 300 kit was installed (this is my first 2 stroke by the way) i had always wanted a 250R so when i came
across this trike on my local craigslist for 340$ it really caught my attention. so with some encouragement from the guys on .org i scooped it up! it came with a full DG exhaust and maier rear fenders, got it home and i posted some pics of the
cylinder / head up on
.org and manbearpig was the first one to comment that it had the 300 kit, so when realized what it was that i had it was
full restoration ahead!
this is what it looked like when i first got it,
this is how it sits now
With manbearpigs recommendation i sent the tired rear shock out to suspension101 and had george give the
internals a once over and re valve it to be rated for 360lbs with a new eibach spring to match, (ima big boy
at 300) so this way i got a little buffer for some riding gear. as for the paint my buddy is a head painter at a
local restoration shop so he gave me the much appreciated helping hand, picked out a nice red and went
with a different shade of yellow/goldish with house of color red flake.
then i got the swingarm bushing from 3WW shop to replace my trashed swingarm bearings, and picked up a
dual row aluminum bearing carrier from ebay to replace my HACKED carrier that came with the trike, it
seriously was missing have of the spanner wrench splines....so yea that had to go.

end of the day i am learning as i am going on it and i am taking my time and doing it with the thought
process of doing it right the first time. i still feel like i am a little out of my element when it comes to the
tunning process / plug chops and such but ill face that hurdle when it comes. i am sure i will be posting up my questions lol.
when the time comes for it lol.

bigdaddyvw185
11-01-2013, 11:39 PM
the quad in the 200S pic is my yamaha 400, thats the only semi good pic i have of the 200s i can find at the
moment but i will snap some more tomorrow when i get the headlight guard on.

flossyb20, i have to say i dont think i will be parting with any parts from the 300 kit lol, i have been on a quest of sorts trying to source the items that i have been able to actually get my hands on. so with that being said
when i stick the NOS cylinder on i have all intentions to put the cylinder that i already had back into the NOS
cylinders box and sticking it on a shelf for a rainy day..... i am sure you could understand.
As for mods, i have done some homework on the trx330 mod and / flotek / racers toy store setups and have
kept them in the back on my mind in case i needed them. but when the NOS cylinder came my way those
options kinda took the back seat. have not done a heck of alot of research into port work but i am not against the thought lol other than that i am contemplating installing the cr500 crank bearings, i read over on airfoolers that the standard
bearings are 7 ball and the cr500's are the same diameter and are direct fit and have 8 ball's so that means better
displacement of force and longer life..... but thats just a thought at the moment, other than that i got my eye on a
mossbarger reed cage, but im saving my pennies for that at the moment seeing those bad boys are some $$$ lol. what
machine shop did your brother have do the work? there are no machine shops i would feel comfortable enough bringing my cylinder to in my area so i am always interested in hearing about the good
shops that are available.

Flossyb20
11-02-2013, 12:05 PM
He actually sent his out to Denny at Flotek, and was very happy with the results. As far as the cr500 bearings, they are indeed a direct fit, and if you plan on riding hard at all, they're cheap insurance.

bigdaddyvw185
11-07-2013, 04:09 PM
got my hands on a 76mm piston, it will be here early next week.
i have been thinking it would be good insurance to go ahead and split the cases and get a new set of crank bearing,
connecting rod kit, and a clutch disk / plate kit/spring.
i here vesrah connecting rod kits are the way to go but also have heard good things about the hot rod kits, which do you guys think i should go with? just to throw it out, there are vesrah kits available on ebay for 75$ shipped so needless to say
those have caught my eye. but like i said i wanted to see what you guys think i should go with.

as for the crank bearings, i think i am going to go with the cr500 bearings, but obviously they wont sell a kit with those
bearings so i was wondering if someone out there can list the part numbers for the 2 seals i would need so i can pickup those 2 seals and then get the bearings seperate. it would be a big help as when i do part number searches for the crank seals
they dont come up as (crank seals) they are listed by there diameter..... so if someone could give me the part numbers for
them that would be great!

and finally with all of these other things being done i cannot leave the old clutch kit installed..... i have seen ebc kits
available but not with the clutch plates and springs included... i am looking to get a whole kit, springs, friction disks and
clutch plates. what do you guys think on a good suggestion for a complete kit?

thanks for the help!

bigdaddyvw185
11-21-2013, 11:20 AM
shortline10 was cool enough to hook me up with a hot rods connecting rod kit and a complete gasket set. now i have my eyes on a complete barnett clutch kit and a new 35mm PWK quad vent carburetor. i figure running my stock carb would be short
lived anyways so why not just go ahead and spring for it now and get it over with.

loshe191
11-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Welcome and good luck on your build its looking good.

czac
12-03-2013, 09:30 PM
wow... the frame looks awesome! what size is your front tire / rim? i like it, its kinda "thinnish"...lol love the paint, its gonna be one sweet machine when youre done... ill have to check that puppy out once I get my yammie running....

bigdaddyvw185
12-04-2013, 10:50 AM
trailpro czac you wanna get rid of this style front tire? lol. thanks for the comment's yea you will need to stop by one of
these days!

JasonB
12-04-2013, 11:23 AM
welcome to the site man! glad you made it over. now quite painting/polishing parts and get to riding that machine!!!!

bigdaddyvw185
12-04-2013, 05:58 PM
jason,
The engine is going over to Ken O'Conner racing here in CT within the next week or so to get torn down, inspected and then some port work done. he is going to assemble it with the new cylinder before he tears it all down so he can match the ports and then give it a mild port job, i went up to his shop this past weekend and sat down with him for about an hour discussing what we are going to do with it. i told him i didnt want a full race port job by any means but just wanted to clean it up and get the most out of the cylinder that i possibly can comfortably. at the end of the conversation he used the term when you get it back consider it "Blueprinted"..... I am also having the Power Player modifications done to the piston to help aid in the cooling of the exhaust bridge..... off the cuff he said to expect it to be done in mid / end of January. i went up to his shop with a buddy of mine, he just has his fooler 250R built by ken. and damn did it come out looks fresh. he is a great guy and i
am more than happy to have him do the work.

its almost there lol... i just got a new tank this morning and dropped it off at the sandblaster this afternoon since mine was
dented half to hell.

bigdaddyvw185
12-04-2013, 06:02 PM
basically i am having Ken do the power player mod from the may of 84 issue of 3 wheeling magazine. here is the link.
http://airfoolers.com/?page_id=749

you dont think i wanna go out and ride this thing! lol. i am itchin! just would rather take my time and get everything done right the first time is all. i still needa get my hands on a 35mm PWK air striker carb. thats the last big thing i need.

JasonB
12-05-2013, 12:56 PM
you're only going with a 35mm for a 300 bike? mine was real happy with the 39PWK i had in my 84 fooler. thats awesome your getting it all built up though, diong it right the first time is cheaper and the right way to go. you need to make a full on build thread over here too, with all the pics from your other thread; there's a lot of people that dont visit both boards that would love to see what you have built from start to finish!

bigdaddyvw185
12-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Well i am kind of piggy backing on what Zane (Zsoccerdude17) did with his 300 fooler. he made a thread up over on foolers.com about which carb to get and there were more people that suggested to get the 35 than there were to get the 38mm which was his other option. dont get be wrong i have heard great things from both sizes. so at this point i guess it is safe to say that what size i will end up going with is still up in the air. only thing i no for sure out of which carb to get i no it is going to be an air striker version, every suggestion i have found said to go with the air striker versus the normal PWK. I am also trying my best to contact Mossbarger Racing via email but every time i go to e mail them about a mossbarger reed cage / pedal setup the E mail does not go threw. yea.....the carb and an aftermarket reed cage is all i got left to get my hands on..... so by all
means suggestions on which carb would be appreciated. and if anyone has an E mail Address for mossbarger racing by please
post it up! lol.

yea i have to admit i have been contemplating making a build thread of here Jason, it is such a shame that my thread over
on .ORG is dead in the water. than darn thread had over 5000 views too!, and i cant even update it. i keep telling myself to give it another day....then another day turns into a week. now its been well over a month and every time i go to post its all error's. i have not yet made another build thread here or over on foolers.com because there is just so much damn info over
on my .org thread that its just like UGHHH lol. I feel like Tom hanks in Cast Away when he lost Wilson floating on that raft lol...........all i can say is....Wilson!!!......