PDA

View Full Version : shifting with riding boots

averysdad
11-02-2013, 10:01 PM
my wife got me an old pair of msr world tour boots at a garage sale to day. they are old and used so there broke in good and fit me good the problem is I cant shift with them at all my foot is only size 8 so its not that I have a big foot. I cant really shift in my work boots either but they are steal toe any way. im riding a 200x. right now or trying too with the boots on lol i even tried riding a 300 fourtrax and even that was hard and it has a big shifter. so what is the trick to shifting in the boots?? i like to ride hard and shift fast oh and also how do you guys with like size 11 or 12 size shoes shift your 200x even in normal shoes much less riding boots?? lol

badass350x
11-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Adjust your shifter up or down to fit your shifting needs!

M.Pargiello
11-03-2013, 12:49 AM
My shifter is up one notch and I have a 2nd gen IMS shift lever on it, which is a bit shorter. It just catches the lip of my boot and works perfect.

sanchez
11-03-2013, 11:32 AM
I wear work boots for ridding (redwings 2211 insulated and steel toe) as ridding boots give me the same troubles. If work boots are still stiff exercise your ankle and join the club. U need more than a pair of Nikki's but like ski boots, hockey skates, only the neewbs complain the rest know how much less boot soars hurt compaired to a sprained ankle.

averysdad
11-03-2013, 09:07 PM
I moved the shifter up and now I can shift no problem with the boots thanks for the help.

ColtonGG33
11-03-2013, 09:10 PM
The bigger the foot the tighter the fit between shifter and peg, which makes it easier to shift IMO

dougspcs
11-03-2013, 09:40 PM
I had to move the shifter on my 350X up alot..I got big boots.

So much so it's difficult to shift when I ride using my regular footwear!!

No winning!!

fabiodriven
11-03-2013, 09:42 PM
I gave riding boots two chances. I could never get used to them.

M.Pargiello
11-04-2013, 07:13 PM
I gave riding boots two chances. I could never get used to them.

I was like that, my first time wearing my new pair to see if I liked those better I ended up hitting a tree on the left side. Caught it on the gopro and with how my foot was wedged in there, it would be broken without those boots. The twist sprained it pretty good but I fared well. Ill cut the clip and post it for you later :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VQm1ii0GLA

Here it is, And a little bit that I have learned from this...People sound funny when the wind is really knocked out of them. Happened within the first 10 minutes of a 40-45 mile ride with my brother on his YZ125 and Mark with his YZ250, thankfully we weren't going at our usual pace which is quite a bit quicker. The whole left side of my body smacked the tree, Knee and ankle got the worst of it. Foot bent back quite a bit farther than the resting position shown, My foot peg was pointing to the inside of the tire, and bars were laid back and twisted. Still rode it back to fix it though :)

dougspcs
11-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Definitely got your bell rung their son!!

Can't say I haven't felt that ringing in my ears from time to time!!

onformula1
12-11-2014, 03:41 AM
My father had problems shifting due to polio and would shift with his heel of the boot, and fast!!!

its_serg
12-12-2014, 03:51 PM
first day i ever got into riding, buddy chipped his ankle not wearing mx boots. walked on it for 2 days and then seen a doctor needless to day he spent 2 weeks on bed rest and $2,000 on the bill. he could of saved all that with a pair of $100 boots like mine. with my trike and it being so cold right now in michigan im shifting in a pair of mickeys military boots, smooth sailing here.