PDA

View Full Version : Snow Ride

YAMAHA_Jim
12-29-2003, 07:40 PM
I took advantage of the warmer weather yesterday and did some woods riding for about 3 hrs. Where I was there was about 5-6 inches of frozen hard snow.I left my dads house on the blue blaster and headed for the woods.After about 1/4 mile I said to myself"This snow is dangerous to ride on" ,,b/c the snow was like ice and the sun had melted it in spots.I was in an open field 4th gear on some soft slushy snow when i said that to myself.3 seconds later I hit a shady spot where the snow was like ice and the next thing I knew I was going backwards at 30+ mph.When the blaster started to come around again it caught an edge in the snow and I was ejected before I could lean the other way.I landed upside down headfirst.While I was crashing I couldnt see a thing, the only thing on my mind was,When is the blaster gonna hit me. Luckily it never did.When I stopped sliding I got up and the blaster was 20 feet behind me upside down against a tree.It rolled 3x from the tracks it left in the snow.Only damage was pretzled bars and bent clutch lever.I rode it back to my dads place and went to work w/ a 3' pipewrench lol. I got them straightened enough to ride.The bars are now kinked by the stem and the left side by the killswitch.I had my doubts about riding but after I few jumps and wheelies I was reassured myself that the bars were OK. lol
I headed back out and did some awesome riding.I found some nice woods that is next to an old ski resort so the hills were steep.There werent any trails here so I had to pick some good lines to get down w/o rolling over.I could only go down due to the snow.WHile I was going down one section(about 2mph),my front tire got hung up in some old barb wire and stopped me in my tracks.I flipped over the bars and slid down the hill about 40' on my arse.Getting back up to the blaster was a challenge.I did get to ride up some of the skislopes where the snow had melted so I got to do the downhill thing a few times.
I also rode on some nice railroad beds that lead to an old train tunnel(last used in 1918).I dont ride in the tunnel b/c the vibration will bring down the ceiling,and that wouldnt be good.I had to do some road riding on the way back to my dads b/c I couldnt make it up some of the hills I had went down earlier.
All in all it was a great day of riding.No cops,No injuries and no tree huggers.

3WheelsForever
12-30-2003, 12:06 AM
Sounds like a great day of riding Jim. Except for the whole rolling part lol. Thats what happened to me on our 2nd snowfall except I flipped my 350x when I got sideways and accidently hit a jump. Snow is fun and great to ride in but its too damn cold lmao! :-D

Honda300ex
12-30-2003, 01:06 PM
Sounds like fun Jim.. Just as long as the blaster was alright :D j/k... I cant wait to get mine runing..

TimSr
12-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Hey Jim, we decided to go out for a while too! When it warmed up we couldnt resisteither. It got into the 50's here. We had plenty of mud slop, but also had to contend with the icy spots in the shade. I did get to put my new Quad-Z to some real tests! Muddy as heck, but a great day for riding!

ScottZJ
12-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Man ol man, I get tired of hearing all these cool snow rides and NO PIC!!! :D Remeber some people arent as lucky as others to see snow. So lets see some pics for us southern guys that are still wearing shorts! In fact its 60 some odd degrees today and I should be playing golf tomorrow lol............peace

TRI-Zbrian
12-30-2003, 04:27 PM
lol FU and your shorts man :twisted: i cant wate till i graduate so i can move away from here to the south or west i cant stand the cold and snow it makes me not want to do anything lol belive it or not i was born in las vages but my mom moved shortly after i was like 2 to upstate NY so that must be ware i get it from. i plan on going back to navada or cali when i am a bit older and have some money :twisted: lol i cant wate to get out of here

TimSr
12-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Man ol man, I get tired of hearing all these cool snow rides and NO PIC!!! :D Remeber some people arent as lucky as others to see snow. So lets see some pics for us southern guys that are still wearing shorts! In fact its 60 some odd degrees today and I should be playing golf tomorrow lol............peace

No pics of the ride, but I did take a picture of the results.

TRI-Zbrian
12-30-2003, 06:58 PM
lol you know you some one had a great time when you cant tell what color there machine is :twisted:

350XXX
12-30-2003, 11:05 PM
i can still see a small section of the seat. you must have been sitting down too much :-P . so how did the conversion ride? did it handle as good as a factory quad?

Dynofox
12-30-2003, 11:15 PM
I'm also interested in how you like the quad z?

3 weelin geezer
12-31-2003, 02:52 AM
too bad the pix dont include the riders then you couldnt tell what color the machines are. Too bad they don't make em in beige or some other MUD color. Lime green is not a good color I think.

TimSr
01-01-2004, 12:42 PM
I'm also interested in how you like the quad z?

Im posting my evaluation in the quad forum. I dont want to hijack TriZ Jim's thread!!