PDA

View Full Version : 1987 honda 250sx rear

reedy350x
11-08-2013, 02:35 PM
is there a way to some how gear down the rear i find my 87 is not as fast as the 85 its like the gears are different my 87 screams the rpm it has all the power in the world but when the 87 is screamin the 85 passes me the power is there just not the speed ive had many of these just wondering if it is posable to gear it down for pulling or towing

dougspcs
11-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Must be something in your tire sizing since the 85-87 SX has the same ratios in the transmission and rear differential. Size tire size changes final drive ratio its one suspect..and don't say they are both 22x11x8. Since no two manufacturers can build a tire of the same size..even though they are listed as the same size..

Suggest you use a fabric tape and measure the outside diameter of the tires on both machines and see how much different they are.

Also your 87 had it's differential replaced with one from a 250ES at one time..that would also cause your concern since the ES differential has a higher ratio differential than the SX to compensate for it's bigger tires.

Could also be a clutch slipping!!

Needs further investigation!