PDA

View Full Version : New Member Hello and question

Chilligeorge
11-09-2013, 03:20 PM
First of all hello and for most thank you for anyone who may help! Ok here goes dont know much about carbs but when i go to use my yamaha 225 that i just picked up for really cheap i can get it to start and run but has trouble idling. and when its not running the carb fills up with gas and runs out around the carb and thru the overflow on the bottom of bowl. how do it fix this. FYI pet cock will not shut off and i have to use a set of vise grips to shut fuel down.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Hey there and welcome.

Sounds like a good thorough carb cleaning is in order along with checking float height and adjusting as necessary.

You will need to remove and completely disassemble the carb. This is a well covered topic and using the search engine should yield results a plenty if you do not know how to do this. If you are mechanically inclined this is not a difficult job to do.

As to the float height specs for your specific model, you would need to consult a service manual for that. Member MonroeMike is usually pretty good at posting a link to a downloadable service manual.

Once the carb is thoroughly cleaned and the float adjusted properly you should be able to dial in the idle mixture and speed.

wifespissed
11-10-2013, 10:32 AM
The gas pouring out is either a float ajustment or the needle and seat need to be replaced. I would try the needle ans seat first. The idle is probably your low speed jet clogged. As ride-red 250 r stated a carb cleaning will help all of this. Jets are cheap i recommend buying a new low speed jet,bowl gasket, a needle and seat, and a can of carb cleaner. This should get you back riding again.

King Trikester
11-10-2013, 09:04 PM
I have had good luck without replacing any parts in the carb, a good thorough cleaning of the carb including blowing all ports with air, cleaning the jets very well, and soaking the rest in carb cleaner until every thing is as clean a a whisle, but im cheap and have had a lot of practise doing this, wifespissed's way would be the better sure fire way to go.

also dont be scared of tearing into it, i was the first time I did it but its not that hard at all, just make sure to replace all the o-rings, reading a manual would'nt hurt either, it hepled me understand exactly what each part inside does