PDA

View Full Version : gas comming out of air box after valve adjustment

arthorge
11-10-2013, 02:34 AM
so i just adjusted my valves on my honda 185s atc i had to take the carb off to get to the intake valve and i let it sit overnight because it got late next morning i did the adjustment and put it back together fired it up and noticed that intake valve was way lose also that gas was comming outta the air box drain figured it was just intake valve being off so i readjusted the valve and tried to fire it again and then again gas was comming outta the air box drain so i have given up for the night and decided to post here for help any input would be greatly appreciated thanks

barnett468
11-10-2013, 03:10 AM
maybe your carb float got stuck. try shaking it or remove bowl and check it.

kebby28
11-10-2013, 03:11 AM
So if your valves are adjusted right I would say when you pulled the carb off the float stuck open... Has the carb been cleaned?

MNhondaguy
11-10-2013, 05:15 AM
Tap the bowl with a screwdriver handle, that usually does the trick for a sticky needle.

arthorge
11-10-2013, 11:10 AM
yes i cleaned it a couple weeks before i adjusted the valves poorly tho

tri again
11-10-2013, 03:40 PM
I shouldn't say this but after a carb fix, I've been known to put a few drops of 2 stroke oil in a piece of clear fuel line and mouth blow it into the carb with the float bowl drain open so it blow past the float needle and seat.

I also blow into the carb and turn it upside down to make sure the float moves ok (shut off and opens) before I put it back on.

Pretty sure I'm gonna try that with one I cleaned recently that decided to start leaking for no good reason.

Last one apart seemed to have some sort of dark plasticky varnish surrounding the needle so it was aclohol and Q tip to the rescue.

Amazing that this technology was commonly used to fly planes across oceans.

wonderboy
11-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Is the gas coming out of the float bowl drain tube, or out of the airbox drain tube? You said airbox above, but I just wanted you to restate it because everyone is talking about gas leaking due to a stuck needle.

If it is truly leaking from the airbox drain hose, then gas is getting blown back through the carb throat and into the airbox, which to me says you messed up your valve adjustment. If the intake is hanging open a bit, it is going to shoot back some air/fuel on the compression stroke back into the airbox.

Take another look at your valve adjustment and make sure you had the piston on the compression stroke when you adjsted the valves.

Remember, your flywheel will go around past the timing mark twice: once on the compression stroke and once on the exhuast stroke. You need to make sure you are on the compression stroke when you adjust the valves since this is when they are closed. On the exhaust stroke (depending on where you are) you will have both valves open at some point.

So, just watch the action of the lifters/valves as you slowly rotate the crankshaft and keep an eye out for the timing mark. Once you see the exhaust valve open then close, followed by the intake opening and closing (intake and exhaust will overlap a bit), keep rotating slowly until the timing mark lines up for TDC.

Then adjust your valves.

arthorge
11-11-2013, 08:44 PM
ty guys for all the help i got fed up with it and took it to a friend