PDA

View Full Version : Locked wheel, may have cause axle damage?

rainbranchtyler
11-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Hey everyone, so a quick run through of what happened. On sunday I went through a mud hole and put the bike away wet, when I pulled it out yesterday and started it up the right wheel was locked but the left wheel was turning still. I assumed this is impossible without a differential. So I gave it a little shot of gas and the wheel freed up with a loud clunk noise. I thought this was ice breaking, but my teacher informed me it could be the axle stripping where it connects to the hub or it could of been twisting. The bike was steering fine afterwards and didn't seem to lack power, but I'm still worried. He told me if theres water in the axle then when I take off the cap that you put the oil in there will be a milky whitish oil. I'm going to do that after school, and I'm thinking of driving it here tomorrow to open up the back end and check it out. Any input?

rainbranchtyler
11-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

tri again
11-12-2013, 07:43 PM
I've heard some trikes have an optional locking rear axle.
Maybe Kawi?
Hondas are all solid axle as far as I know.

Wet brake shoes can swell and lock up, as they say, tighter than a drum.
To hear a loud clunk is always disconcerting.
Ice breaking would be nice but may displace some brake parts.

What kind of machine is it?

rainbranchtyler
11-13-2013, 01:11 AM
It's an 85 SX.
My main concern is the fact that my left wheel was spinning but my right one was locked up. Since it's a solid axle how is this possible? I'd think the only way is if the splines stripped/slipped..
I'll be bringing it into the school to take apart the rear end check it out with my teacher. I rode it for about half an hour through the snow after I heard the clunk (because I thought it was ice breaking) and it seemed fine, would another half hour drive cause any more damage that the first didn't? I'd do it here but I only have a small tarp tent to work in and all my tools are at my old house. Or should I wait for a truck/warm day?

just ben
11-13-2013, 01:26 AM
I would bet you stripped the hub. Not likely that it was caused by going through the mud and water. It was probably messed up before and that put it over.

dougspcs
11-13-2013, 09:50 AM
I would bet you stripped the hub. Not likely that it was caused by going through the mud and water. It was probably messed up before and that put it over.

If the shoe dropped off which happens pretty regularly and jammed the wheel..he was torquing on it pretty hard to get it moving causing an already worn hub to spin!!??

Seems pretty possible..

Anyway rainman, Probably no serious risk to ride it to shop class..but listen to your machine son! If it's saying stop, then stop!!! You should be able to make it if it's just a spun hub..

I've seen YouTube and your generation love to pound til it breaks then bltch about the carnage that has occurred.

Hopefully you're the break the mould type guy that just needs to learn to hear what the mechanics are saying to you..

At least take a 17mm socket and pop the differential cap to make sure there's oil in there..if there's none or it's all water contaminated see if you can load it into someone's pickup for the ride to school.

The diff is an expensive component to replace.

Good luck, keep us informed and take pics..we'll be here to help.

wonderboy
11-13-2013, 09:56 AM
If what you described TRULY was happening, the only way possible is that one hub is stripped. The axle is a solid bar from left to right. It can't turn differently on the left side from the right side unless it is broken in two pieces, and if that happens, the pieces won't be staying on the machine for long.

I see an addition to the post about welding hubs coming soon... :)

rainbranchtyler
11-13-2013, 06:19 PM
If the shoe dropped off which happens pretty regularly and jammed the wheel..he was torquing on it pretty hard to get it moving causing an already worn hub to spin!!??

Seems pretty possible..

Anyway rainman, Probably no serious risk to ride it to shop class..but listen to your machine son! If it's saying stop, then stop!!! You should be able to make it if it's just a spun hub..

I've seen YouTube and your generation love to pound til it breaks then bltch about the carnage that has occurred.

Hopefully you're the break the mould type guy that just needs to learn to hear what the mechanics are saying to you..

At least take a 17mm socket and pop the differential cap to make sure there's oil in there..if there's none or it's all water contaminated see if you can load it into someone's pickup for the ride to school.

The diff is an expensive component to replace.

Good luck, keep us informed and take pics..we'll be here to help.

I'll take the cap off and check the diff oil tomorrow, it will be alot warmer. I'm also thinking of taking the wheel off and checking the axle/hub splines to see if they look stripped from slipping. If it's not to bad I'll put it back on and drive it to the school, if it's really bad I'll find a truck. From what everyone says and with more thought put into it I'm thinking the hub probably slipped. I put it on a slight incline and checked all three break levers, they're all working properly. I prefer to ride on the light side compared to all my friends, they put their machines through hell.

If what you described TRULY was happening, the only way possible is that one hub is stripped. The axle is a solid bar from left to right. It can't turn differently on the left side from the right side unless it is broken in two pieces, and if that happens, the pieces won't be staying on the machine for long.

I see an addition to the post about welding hubs coming soon... :)
I can't imagine the axle's broken in two if I rode it for a half hour after words with no give lol.
If the splines on just the hub or axle are stripped, I'll be looking for a replacement part on here, if they are both stripped I'll cut out a tiny part of both the axle and hub and weld a pin in, along with around the hub. I'm making a ski for the front and likely a small box for the rack. I'll post them up when I have it done.

rainbranchtyler
11-14-2013, 03:52 PM
So I checked the diff oil and there seems to be no contamination with water. I'm gonna put to school on it carefully then check out the hub/axle.

LastFoolerInVA
11-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Please do not weld the hub to the axle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

rainbranchtyler
11-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Welding them would only be a last resort if the splines on both them are shot, I can't imagine this though because it hasn't slipped since. I rode down to the trail but it was too swamped for my comfort and turned back.