PDA

View Full Version : 1985 honda big red 250es Service manuel?

1985HondaBigRed
11-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Hey everyone, i'm new to the forum and i've done some googling trying to find a service manual for an 85 250es, more specifically the carburetor section but i would take the whole manual. I'm rebuilding my carburetor with a rebuild kit and i am just looking for the stock jet sizes, needle setting and air mixture screw setting for stock 250. Thanks again!

New2Tri-Z
11-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Hey bud welcome aboard. There is a member on the site that has an entire website dedicated to service manuals OSCARMAYER.

Here is a link to the site http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Honestly I don't see a link to the 85 250es but it is a good start. Otherwise PM him and I bet he knows how or where to get it. Sorry I couldn't find the answer right off but keep digging you will find it. Hope you enjoy all the benefits of this wonderful forum.

Strike that I found it for you kbonly keeps a site of manuals also here is a link http://www.atcmanuals.info/ Just download the 250es service manual pdf and there you go. Good Luck with your bike.

1985HondaBigRed
11-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!, I just checked out that site and as you stated in your post. I don't see the 85 250es but before I send a PM to OSCARMAYER, anyone know if the carb settings for the 250sx are the same as the 250es? for some reason i thought the only difference was the rear ends but I could be wrong. I only ask because I did see the service manual for the 250sx on his site.

Thanks again!

Flyingw
11-14-2013, 05:11 PM
The carbs for the SX and ES are of the same QA series family but there are differences between the carbs however, the setup is the same. 2 turns out on the pilot screw for the 85 carbs and 1 1/4 turns out for the 86/87 carbs. Be sure you identify your carb before doing the adjustment. Under the fuel inlet nipple on the left side of the carb is a number stamped in to the rim of the bowl.

QA01A = 85ES
QA02A = 85SX
QA07A = 86/87ES
QA08A = 86/87SX

Here is a tutorial I did on rebuilding these carbs. It tells you everything you need to know.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/161746-ES-SX-350X-Carb-rebuild-Tutoral?p=1257154#post1257154

Here's another manual link and it does have the ES manual listed
http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php

kb0nly
11-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Manual is available on my website.

www.atcmanuals.info

1985HondaBigRed
11-14-2013, 08:49 PM
thank you very much for the quick responses. the local parts shop actually had the service manuel for the 85 250es, it was an original printed 1984 June book. but they photocopied the carb settings for me. So i put the rebuild kit in and set everything to oem standard and put a brand new spark plug in and i am still have the same original issue. when i crack on the throttle, the bike chokes out and falls flat on its face. it runs fine with the choke on and will rev fine. If i can get it past the low rpms it revs up fine in the middle to top end. just no bottom end. motor is in excellent shape and runs very quiet. and now the carb has a rebuild kit in it. Someone help! its becoming a huge headache, ive tried fiddling with the air mixture screw a bit but with no real result other then the bike working worse then it did. the needle is set to the stock setting of 2nd spot down from the top. i warmed the bike right up too before taking off the choke. i do live in nova scotia, canada so the temp has been a little cold here lately but nothing crazy.

Flyingw
11-15-2013, 12:16 AM
You said you messed with the pilot screw. Per the book, you are supposed to turn the pilot screw in until the motor stops then back it out 1 turn. When you give it gas, right off idle you are running on the pilot circuit i.e. the pilot screw. Do this adjustment first.

Second, there is a procedure in the manual for synchronizing the slide and butteryfly linkages. Be sure this is done as well.

Its also possible your pilot circuit has junk in it preventing good fuel flow through that circuit.

Flyingw
11-15-2013, 12:20 AM
One more thing, when you put the rebuild kit in, did you replace the needle jet? That's the round brass barrel the needle passes through. Its essential that is replaced with the needle as they are matched.

1985HondaBigRed
11-18-2013, 08:35 AM
i got another 250 carb from a friend and his had a bunch of vacuum lines on it that mine didnt have when i got it. does anyone know if said vacuum lines on the 250 carb are suppose to be plugged off or connected to somewhere specifically. i just have them looped on this second carb for now but seems to work a lot better. i am assuming those vacuum lines are essential for correct operation.

Flyingw
11-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Naw, For whatever reason Honda engineers put that mess on the ES carbs. Pull all that crap off and leave two simple vent hoses. They are just atmospheric vents.

OKSTATE#1
11-24-2013, 11:49 PM
I need to look at my carb after looking at this thread. I have an issue coming off idle too. Runs great after warmup. Pilot circuit....I have a 250es Manual I bought off eBay. There is usually one on there about once a month I have noticed since I got into this about 5 months ago. Just keep looking, they are there. It's good to have one around, they are very handy.