PDA

View Full Version : How to title your trike in Arizona

webbch
11-19-2013, 10:11 PM
I recently picked up 3 trikes without titles in Arizona. I figured I'd try to figure out how to get titles for them, and did a search on here and many other places: see Arizona titles and bonds (http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/147933-Arizona-titles-and-bonds?highlight=arizona+title) for the original thread. Since I can't yet post in that section, I figured I'd post my experience getting the titles. I contacted member badass350x per his offer in the linked thread and he explained how to do it. I just walked out of the title agency this afternoon with titles, plates, and OHV tags for 2 of the 3 trikes, which ran about $65 for each trike. I would've gotten all 3 trikes done except for a mistake I made on one of the forms. This information is pertinent only to AZ. I have no idea if it'll work in other states. Here's the process:

1) Initial detective work:
This involves identifying whether or not a title has ever been issued for the trike. It's unclear to me EXACTLY when titles started being issued with OHV sales, but it seems to be no earlier than 1986, and no later than 1994 (irrelevent for trikes). If no title has been issued, and assuming the VIN has not been reported as stolen (AZ theft site (https://theftaz.azag.gov/)), then you are eligible to follow the "easy" process for getting a title described in the following paragraphs. If a title has already been issued for that VIN and you are unable to locate and/or convince the current title holder to sign off, THAT is when you MUST go the bonded title route, involving affidavits and certified letters to existing title holder. So how do you find out if a title has been issued on the vehicle? Call up a title agency that deals with vehicle titling (or the MVD if you prefer - I find private agency's to be more helpful). Give them the VIN and ask them (nicely) to see if a title has already been issued for the vehicle. Assuming they don't blow you off, they will immediately assume you want to know the NAME of the title holder, which they are unauthorized to disclose (until you start the bonded title process with them). Reassure them you are NOT asking for the NAME of the title holder, but simply whether or not a title has been issued for the VIN. If they refuse, call somewhere else. They are not violating any privacy policies by disclosing the fact that a title has been ISSUED for the VIN. The place I called didn't even charge a fee for this service, although from their tone, it doesn't sound like a particularly common request.

2) The forms:
You need 2 notarized Arizona MVD bill of sale forms for each trike that establishes vehicle ownership history (form 48-2004 (http://printablebillofsale.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Arizona-Vehicle-Bill-of-Sale-Form.pdf)). (Third party link - the link to the form on the DMV site appears to be broken). Basically, they need 2 notarized bill of sale forms that show an ownership history of 2 years or more. So perhaps transfer ownership (via these bill of sale forms) from your wife to a buddy from 2 years ago, then a buddy to yourself for example. It's OK if you waited 2 years or longer get the forms notarized :). If you make a mistake on a BOS form, get a new form - don't cross it out and make a correction or the form will be rejected. That's where I went wrong on 1 of the trikes.

3) Get the title(s)
Armed with the knowledge that no title has ever been issued for the VIN, you can confidently take your 2 BOS forms (per trike) down to the MVD and instruct them to issue you a title. Expect resistance if you go to the MVD office. It appears that few MVD agents are aware that this is a legitimate means of obtaining a title for these vehicles. I will be attempting to do this (going to MVD office which is much closer to me) for the 3rd trike, now that I know it works. I used All Vehicle Title in Tucson, AZ to get the other 2 titles. The title you receive has a line item for "Previous Title Number". On my titles, rather than a number, it had "BILL OF SALE" instead.

That's it. No vehicle inspection required, no affidavits, no certified letters, no waiting period. If a title has never been issued for the VIN in question, and you are able to show an ownership history of 2 years or more via the appropriate, notarized forms, then you can walk out with title, plate, and tags.

Hopefully this helps somebody else avoid the bonded title route unncecessarily. Thanks to member badass350x for giving me the necessary info!!

Mecsey33
03-03-2014, 01:42 PM
I have called 3 title company's and the MVD and they all told me I need a bonded title and Bill of Sale is NOT recognized in this state as a means of ownership. I have already called to run my VIN numbers and they have never been registered or titled in AZ but they told me I still need a Bonded title even tho I have notarized BOS form from MVD. What am I missing here? I'm about to just go through the bonded title route and call it done...

DohcBikes
03-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Easiest way I have found to title a trike here is to tell them it was given to you and that you have absolutely no knowledge of the previous ownership, no way to contact the person that gave it to you.

If it isn't stolen or borrowed against(which you can determine independently) the third party dmv's are usually very helpful and will walk you right through it.

Several of our trikes are title and registered for on road use. This is just as easy.

The best way is to buy trikes that already have titles. Oh sorry, that wasn't the question lol

webbch
03-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Very few MVD agents realize this is a legitimate way of titling your trike. I got the same run-around at my local MVD office as well. The key aspect is that no title currently exsists on the record. If someone actually titled it at some point in it's life, and then lost the title, THEN you'll have to go the bonded title route.

I, too, was very skeptical, but badass350x explained it to me above, I followed the instructions, and walked out with my titles (I've since gotten the title to the 3rd trike BTW) without having to resort to the bonded title route.

I'd recommend to keep trying with title agencies until you find one that knows their stuff. I can tell you also, that part of the process involves the TA filling out a power of attorney form that you sign, giving the TA power of attorney over the trike as part of the process.

Mecsey33
03-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Has anyone in Phoenix gone through this Bill of Sale process? What company did you use? I must of called 10 places now and they all said I need a bonded title...

webbch
03-04-2014, 09:33 AM
I have called 3 title company's and the MVD and they all told me I need a bonded title and Bill of Sale is NOT recognized in this state as a means of ownership. I have already called to run my VIN numbers and they have never been registered or titled in AZ but they told me I still need a Bonded title even tho I have notarized BOS form from MVD. What am I missing here? I'm about to just go through the bonded title route and call it done...

You need _2_ notarized BOS forms involving 3 parties.
first BOS: establishes previous owner and who THEY bought the trike from
second BOS: establishes YOU buying the trike from the PO

I don't know all the legal aspects of it, but these 2 forms are apparently sufficient such that you are now able to give the title agency power of attorney of the trike, and then they are somehow able to issue you the title (assuming no title has ever been issued for it). Maybe if you mention power of attorney and ownership history via BOS forms it may jog their knowledge of how to do it.

Glendale's fairly close (relative to Tucson anyway), and DohcBikes has indicated success there, so you may try giving that a shot as well.

By the way - the notary only cares about verifying the SELLER's identity. They don't care about dates or buyers. Your SET of forms need to show ~2 year ownership history or more.

webbch
03-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Part of the bonded title process involves certified letters to the previous owner asking them to relinquish their interest in said trike. Of course, they won't tell you who the PO is until you start the bonded title process with them ($$$). You then have a set waiting period for the PO to respond to that letter. If you receive no response within the waiting period, then the process can proceed. I wonder who they send the letter to when no title was ever issued?

Just some thoughts...If no title exists, a PO cannot be positively identified from the MVD's perspective. How does the bonded title route address this concern? Their best "guess" at the PO _is_ a notarized BOS form at that point I would think. Having 2 notarized BOS forms showing 3 different owners is likely intended to be an extra layer of "protection".

Blodg
03-05-2014, 06:10 PM
We have the same issues here in Ohio. Bill of sale is not normally accepted so those without a title have a real hard time getting it registered.

badass350x
03-05-2014, 09:25 PM
just got another one yesterday, took me 45 minutes to get the title!!!

webbch
12-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Just titled #4 in the ATC lineup today ('84 200x). 2 bill-of-sale forms. I asked about why they do the power of attorney form while at the title agency - it was only because they're not an official MVD office - would have to do the same even for a standard title transfer.

So titling your trike in AZ only requires 2 bill-of-sale forms showing 3 different owners with a vehicle history of 2-3 years or more, assuming no title was previously issued for it. I figured out that you can go online to add123.com and put in the VIN. If the site can't find a vehicle history report, chances are no title has ever been issued - that's how I verified it with this latest go-around. I verified my 3 other trikes showed that a vehicle history report exists, while the 200x did not until I titled it.

Unfortunately, the fact remains that not many MVD offices or title agencies are aware that this is a legit practice, so you may have to go to several places before you find one that will do it.

doord521
12-23-2014, 04:02 AM
Now to find the right spot in Yuma!!