PDA

View Full Version : 1982 ATC 185s rear end locked up

David2882
11-19-2013, 11:55 PM
I have a 1982 185s that I am determined to get to be a reliable cruiser. It sat outside and for a few years and the rear end locked up.. I believe it is the rear brake drum.. I pulled off the 2 nuts and washer that hold the rear drum in place and it is seized on pretty well.. Anyone had this problem? Any reason not to apply heat? I am open to any suggestions.. The only thing I have done is sprayed it with PB Blaster and tapped on it with a mallet a bit...

TwoBobRob
11-22-2013, 06:09 AM
Yeah, almost certainly your brakes shoes have welded themselves to the drum. First of all make sure the lever, cable and arm by the drum are all in the released position. You may find yourself disconnecting the cable completely at the rear and giving the arm a clump with a hammer to make sure it's all the way off.

Then it really depends how much you want to try and save. I would give the drum a few good whacks too. Rock the trike back and forth and repeat. Strike the drum on both the face and the sides, anything to try and get the shoes to break loose. After that you're into prybar territory and potentially you could rip the drum and shoes off in one go which is bound to bend, buckle and/or break something along the way. But it will be off.....

David2882
11-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks I got it.. Had to tap on the brake arm and got the brakes to release.. The brake cam was froze up, soaked it in PB Blaster and worked the cam back and forth with a crescent wrench... Now Im just cleaning everything up and getting it put back together.. This might possibly be the first 3 wheeler I have had with working brakes!

TwoBobRob
11-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Cool. It's nice to have a good brake - helps with them slow wheelies.....