PDA

View Full Version : Can't get my 350x started!

chuckles350x
11-22-2013, 12:48 AM
I'm new on 3ww and I just bought my first 350x the other day and we cleaned out the carb and fixed the brakes and put an air filter on it and got a new spark plug but the dumb ass before me made the spark plug gap bigger so it takes a spark plug that is bigger than stock and the spark plug moves in the hole. What do I do? Do I need a new motor? :confused:

chuckles350x
11-22-2013, 12:49 AM
Please help

webbch
11-22-2013, 02:14 AM
How does plug gap translate into using a bigger plug than stock?? Do you mean you have a longer plug that has been struck and damaged by the piston? Are the spark plug threads stripped out?

fabiodriven
11-22-2013, 07:26 AM
He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Teach him.

If your plug is loose in the hole that's not your plug gap. The gap is the distance between the strap and the electrode. What you need is a Heli Coil kit or a Time Cert. If you don't know what you're doing have someone help you.

hitmeup760
11-23-2013, 01:27 AM
And if all else fails change the cylinder.

fabiodriven
11-23-2013, 09:29 AM
And if all else fails change the cylinder.

Wrong. Change the head.

briano
11-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Just sell it to someone that will appreciate it and buy something that runs.

Why is it that a lot of the newbies want to buy something that don't run, especially when they don't have a clue how to do any mechanical work?

Get a machine that runs and leave these vintage trikes for somebody that will appreciate them.

CodyRosa
11-27-2013, 12:59 PM
So he made the spark plug hole bigger? Well how did he make it bigger..? If the threads are good get a different spark plug. What spark plug are you running now maybe you have the wrong plug.

barnett468
11-27-2013, 01:10 PM
no you don't need a new motor but you must remove the cylinder head to repair it.

before doing anything try laying the plug on the cyl head while connected to the coil then kick the engine over and see if it sparks. if there is no spark you have additional probs.

barnett468
11-27-2013, 01:13 PM
heres a free online manual, might take up to 5 minutes to load.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/honda/85-86_ATC350X_Service_Manual.pdf

MFW
11-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Wow, some people know how to make people feel welcome.

MFW

Tri z250
11-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Ya seriously don't have to be so harsh

czac
11-27-2013, 04:21 PM
so the hole that the spark plug screws into is too large for the stock sized plug? Hmmm Why would the previous owner do that one? lol Ok, someone mentioned a Helicoil.. that may be the way to go, I think id, opt for a new Cylinder head if it were mine though... Only because id not trust the Helicoil from backing out.. unless maybe you can use loc tite on it to keep it from moving. Question, was there a spark plug in it when you bought it? if someone made the hole bigger and threaded it too accept a bigger plug, maybe they found one that was only physically bigger than the stock plug but was the same power and everything else..? try getting another one like that and see if the bike starts. or maybe someone sells an adapter you can screw onto your plug to make it the correct size? try looking on line for spark plug adapters or something.
Sorry about the 'Harsh" replies, some folks just don't have enough to do and think they look cool posting stuff like that. good luck, let us know what's going on!

czac
11-27-2013, 04:31 PM

[QUOTE=briano;1266987]Why is it that a lot of the newbies want to buy something that don't run, especially when they don't have a clue how to do any mechanical work?

Why? Probably because of price...that's why I bought one that's not running... $400.00 Vs. anywhere from $1000.00 to $3000.00 Seriously, for the price of some of the used trikes I have been seeing, I could buy a new Quad for just a few bucks more. Besides, Buying an older one that needs work is a great way for people to learn about working on things like this, Seriously, why wouldn't anyone want to know how to work on their stuff? Id rather fix my stuff myself if I can, instead of paying someone to do it for me...

Im sure he appreciates it, He just doesn't know how to fix it is all... By this time next year he'll be an old pro at fixing a trike! lol

Cornholio
11-27-2013, 06:02 PM
First off, The 350x needs an NGK dr8es-l. You might have the wrong plug.

fallguy666
11-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Why is it that a lot of the newbies want to buy something that don't run, especially when they don't have a clue how to do any mechanical work?

Get a machine that runs and leave these vintage trikes for somebody that will appreciate them.are you the type of person that doesn't want new people on the forum? Don't be such a dick!!! People come here to learn not be ragged on by some loser that thinks he knows it all!!!

King Trikester
11-27-2013, 11:33 PM
are you the type of person that doesn't want new people on the forum? Don't be such a dick!!! People come here to learn not be ragged on by some loser that thinks he knows it all!!!

Took the words out of my mouth, we all have to learn sometime, not every one had an older brother or father that could teach mechanics, give the guy a break, this is probly the best place to learn other than have some one teach you.

Read the manual, ask questions and don't be scared to tear into things. Google YouTube and the search bar up top are a great resource, although google usually leads you to this site

CodyRosa
11-28-2013, 01:04 AM
Yea I agree with you guys. I was that guy a little over a year ago.. I give him props for trying, and hopefully he sticks with it because in a months time he'll know quite a bit of information!

Now put all that aside why was only me and cornholio the only people to mention that plug could be wrong lol. Why is everyone just jumping straight to "buy a new head" hahaha
Seeing as how he didn't know what the spark plug gap is he most likely doesn't know the stock spark plug numbers...

fabiodriven
11-28-2013, 07:15 PM
The reason why nobody else is suggesting that the plug is small is because the diameter of the plug for the 350X is already very small. I honestly can't remember seeing a spark plug with a smaller diameter.