PDA

View Full Version : New Trike Owner from KS

Hedberg_Racing
11-23-2013, 11:06 PM

Was given my first 3 wheeler today. Was setting outside for the last few years but is in pretty straight shape, other than having very little compression that I can feel through the kick starter, and needing a few bearings and a sprocket. It seems to be pretty straight! Ive never ridden one of these little trikes, but it looks pretty cool. Any tips on these little monsters before I tear in to it?
Thanks

Ghostv2
11-24-2013, 01:44 AM
Take it easy on the kick starter. I hear the gears are weak and I know myself and many others have some nice scars and bruises from it slipping and hitting you in the shin.

How's the tank look? No leaks or rust on the inside?

Hedberg_Racing
11-24-2013, 10:15 AM
I come from riding a TRX 250r, Which you can really feel the compression through the kick starter. Im assuming the 200x would be the same? you should feel a hard spot in the kick start travel, and I feel none. So I believe a rebuild is in the future. Ive done some simple reasearching on hopping these little things up. Also, coming from a 45+ hp 250r, im thinking im gonna feel a little under powered on this thing, so while its apart im gonna put a few dollars in it.

What year xr200 cam do I use? Im planning on going with a 10.25:1 compression piston and the XR cam. Does this sound like a good start for a little power increase while in the motor?

What about the XR carb? Is it any bigger than the stock 200x carb?

I like my motors to really roar up top, with high revs, Im sure theres no way a motor this old will rev and have the power of say a stock yz250f.
Or if im completely off base here, what do you guys suggest?

The tank has some surface rust on the outside, but the inside appears to be very clean.

JasonB
11-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Details on the trx250r(s) you've had? Welcome to the boards!

Hedberg_Racing
11-25-2013, 08:02 AM

86 250r. Tore it down to the frame a couple years back and built it into a MX Monster. Duncan racing 265 PV cylinder. Shes a runner!

yaegerb
11-25-2013, 11:40 AM
I do love the duncan 265 motors! I will tell you that if you are looking for a screamer, the 200x is not for you. It will feel VERY under powered compared to what you are used to. That being said, the 200x platform is my favorite to tinker with. The "mad scientists" of the 80's have so many little tricks for the first gen 200x motor. If you want the most out of your 200x, a 6MM short rod from powroll with a 12:1 piston, big cam, 28MM carb and race gas is about the best you can do. If you want reliability with some better power a 10.5:1 - 11:1 piston with a mid range cam, bigger carb, etc and you will have a good runner. Welcome to the boards!

Hedberg_Racing
11-25-2013, 12:19 PM
I knew it was going to feel underpowered. I just figured while i had it apart might as well spend a few bucks on it. I bought a 10.25:1 comperssion piston 66mm, which is higher than stock correct? But not full out race fuel? And a full gasket kit so far. Does the XR cam mod reall gain anything? I have about 150 to spend on a cam. and thats about as far as id like to go inside the motor. Higher comp piston, cam, and down the road a bigger carb. Its already got a supertrapp exhaust and i dont really want to go all out, because its just a little 200. So i was thinking these few mods.

10.25:1 Piston
XR Cam. But what year?
Supertrapp exhaust. (already have)
Bigger carb, but what size?

And put it together and ride er.
Does this sound okay? Am i missing something? What are your suggestions?

yaegerb
11-25-2013, 12:27 PM
I knew it was going to feel underpowered. I just figured while i had it apart might as well spend a few bucks on it. I bought a 10.25:1 comperssion piston 66mm, which is higher than stock correct? But not full out race fuel? And a full gasket kit so far. Does the XR cam mod reall gain anything? I have about 150 to spend on a cam. and thats about as far as id like to go inside the motor. Higher comp piston, cam, and down the road a bigger carb. Its already got a supertrapp exhaust and i dont really want to go all out, because its just a little 200. So i was thinking these few mods.

10.25:1 Piston
XR Cam. But what year?
Supertrapp exhaust. (already have)
Bigger carb, but what size?

And put it together and ride er.
Does this sound okay? Am i missing something? What are your suggestions?

Sounds like a good plan for a reliable machine. 10.25:1 will allow you to still run pump gas. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the XR cams. I use webcams, the 40b grind is a good upgrade. If you use the 89a grind you will need to upgrade your springs and retainers, so for now, I would stick with the 40b grind. Below is their website.
http://www.webcamshafts.com/index_blank.html?pages/vehicle_search.html

You could probably get away with using a stock carb, rejetted, or you could step up to a 26MM. I think for the mods you are performing now, a 28MM would be too much fuel. If you are interested, I have both OEM carbs and they are freshly rebuilt. Send me a private message if you would like to chat about them. If you click on the "Misc. 200x/other goodies for sale" link, you can see pictures of them.

The supertrapp is by far the best in performance, definitely keep that exhaust, run 10-12 discs.

DohcBikes
11-29-2013, 08:24 PM

having very little compression that I can feel through the kick starter

I bought a 200x yesterday that felt like it had zero compression, turns out the cam sprocket had sheared a bolt and the chain was broke, rest of the top end was fine, she runs like a champ today.