PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt front forks but they still don't feel right

Bigwestbullies
11-26-2013, 01:30 AM
So I rebuilt the front fork seals. Bought all new gaskets oil seal and dust cap put 10W oil filled it to honda recomendation I got from original owners manual but they still feel soft. When I replaced the seal only one was leaking and the oil I had drained was very black. I replaced seals with all honda parts and used maxima oil it's been a few days and I've been pushing on it haven't seen any leaks. Anyone have any suggestions?

Poco Loco
11-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Did you only replace the dust cap and seal that sits below it? Theres a lot mores parts and bushings to a rebuild. When you do a seal job you need to undo the 6mm allen head on the bottom and pull the dampening rod and clean the sedement out of the bottom of the shock housing.Paint thinner or diesel works great for the flush out. While its apart you can see all the bushing that are present. Most of the time they are wore out. You can also try a little air in the forks. I usually dont go over 5psi. Get the front tire in the air when adding the air for a more accurate reading.

Bigwestbullies
11-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Did you only replace the dust cap and seal that sits below it? Theres a lot mores parts and bushings to a rebuild. When you do a seal job you need to undo the 6mm allen head on the bottom and pull the dampening rod and clean the sedement out of the bottom of the shock housing.Paint thinner or diesel works great for the flush out. While its apart you can see all the bushing that are present. Most of the time they are wore out. You can also try a little air in the forks. I usually dont go over 5psi. Get the front tire in the air when adding the air for a more accurate reading.

Yes replaced all seals and dust caps. Undid all the Allen's and cleaned everything. I did everythjng the manual said to replace fork seals. I'll try to add a couple pounds if air with a bicycle pump

yaegerb
11-26-2013, 01:53 PM
what is the bike?

barnett468
11-26-2013, 02:28 PM
how much do you weigh?

did the springs sit even or above the top of the tubes when the forks were fully extended?

has it always felt soft?

is it soft all the tine or only on jumps?

yes, putting air in the forks will certainly make it stiffer.

Red Rider
11-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Bwb, how much do you weigh? I weigh 175, and with the stock forks, I always ran 15wt fork oil in mine, and I was very pleased with the action. They were supple over the small whoops, yet still soaked up the big hits with ease, and I never had any harsh bottoming out issues. I never liked how stiff the forks got when adding air to them, and there was no easy way to assure you had an equal amount of air in each fork leg.

Bigwestbullies
11-26-2013, 08:30 PM
85 250r atc
I weigh 220 give it take a few
They're soft all the time.
Springs were even in tubes

yaegerb
11-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Add 1-2 lbs of air if you haven't already. Also those springs are possibly ghandi from 26 years of abuse. I just replaced my springs with progressive (I weigh 268), filled the tubes with Bel Ray 20 wt, 2lbs of air per tube and I can hardly compress the front end with my fat arse.

Red Rider
11-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Bwb, for your weight, you're definitely going to want a heavier spring than what comes stock, assuming your's are still the factory springs. The progressive springs seem to be a popular choice, that everyone raves about, but I have no experience with them myself. Based on everyones talk of the progressive springs though, if I were you, I'd give them a try. And I'd definitely be switching to some heavier fork oil, somewhere in the 15-20wt range, and playing with the oil levels to fine tune the ride to what you're looking for.

barnett468
11-27-2013, 08:03 AM
85 250r atc
I weigh 220 give it take a few
They're soft all the time.
Springs were even in tubesok thasnks for the info. yes as others have said you need heavier springs and likely thicker oil, heres a few options.

1. get new springs, leave oil as is.

2. if its still soft try around 10 psi of air but as someone mentioned it is hard to get even.

3. skip the air and go to 15 wt along with you new springs.

4. if its still just a hair soft then add 3/4" of oil and put a 3/4" long spacer in the tubes.

5. if you want to improve it without buying new springs then add a 1" spacer to the tubes, this will help a little, then change to 15 wt oil. i think 20 is overkill in your case.

6. if its still soft add 3/4" of oil

7. if its still soft switch to 20 wt.

Bigwestbullies
11-28-2013, 02:36 PM
ok thasnks for the info. yes as others have said you need heavier springs and likely thicker oil, heres a few options.

1. get new springs, leave oil as is.

2. if its still soft try around 10 psi of air but as someone mentioned it is hard to get even.

3. skip the air and go to 15 wt along with you new springs.

4. if its still just a hair soft then add 3/4" of oil and put a 3/4" long spacer in the tubes.

5. if you want to improve it without buying new springs then add a 1" spacer to the tubes, this will help a little, then change to 15 wt oil. i think 20 is overkill in your case.

6. if its still soft add 3/4" of oil

7. if its still soft switch to 20 wt.

I put some air in the forks. Got them pretty even. they feel a lot better

barnett468
11-28-2013, 02:44 PM
I put some air in the forks. Got them pretty even. they feel a lot betterOk, good but it might be better ito not use air and try the changes i suggested.

you can also install an air equalizer for a few bucks if you still use air.