PDA

View Full Version : New Guy (Big Red Plow?)

MFW
11-27-2013, 12:58 PM
I have always had a 3 wheeler. My first was a 1985 Honda 70 atc then upgraded to a 1984 125m. Fast Forward 15 years later..... I bought a 1985 Honda Big Red last week. I am pretty excited about it. Always wanted one and I finally found one in good shape. Now, I am searching for a cycle country plow for it. Any suggestions on where to look? I appreciate the help.

MFW

MFW
12-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Looking to buy one or pay someone to build one.

MFW

kb0nly
12-02-2013, 04:03 PM
All you can do is watch for them really. It took me a couple years to find mine, it popped up on eBay and i snagged it quick. They aren't exactly easy to find. Watch Craigslist, Ebay, and once you have been here long enough you can post in the classifieds.

You might have to built one to get one, a used lawn tractor plow and some tubing is about all you need for materials, but a lot of time and welding to go with it! LOL

dougspcs
12-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I bought this beauty 2 years ago from the original owner in Washington Twp, Michigan for $1000..

Still have the trike, but immediately took the plow off and sold it to a good friend of my father's for $225 with all the hardware included.

Idiot move, I've been bugging him ever since to buy it back!!

BIG DADDY TRI Z
12-02-2013, 07:08 PM
just take a weekend,a tape measure,a welder,a old lawn tractor blade and some metal and build one yourself its a blast to build and to say I built that....I did mine on a Saturday afternoon and done it the way I wanted.i built a frame to bolt to the red,and then built the plow frame.i used two lenear actuators so I have power lift and power angle and I get to smile like a school boy every time we get snow so I can use it!!!!!!!!

nutcase67
12-04-2013, 10:43 PM
just where does the plow attach to the frame

motorman3000
12-05-2013, 11:53 AM
I COMPLETLY agree with BIG DADDY TRI Z. building something, not only is it satisfying to build it the way you want it, it is FUN!!!!! I have built so many different plow set ups for tractors and 4 wheelers, but never for a 3 wheeler. it looks like they attach at the foot pegs, the pic I found I couldn't really see how the raise/lower worked but if your creative you will figure it out. I have a 200s and would love to build one for it BUTTTT it does not have reverse.... :mad: time to learn how to weld.... if you don't know how already.. ;)

tripledog
12-05-2013, 12:21 PM
The plows are out there, but they are getting harder to find. I bought a 200es complete with plow for $350. I have twice that into it now and still spending. The picture is "as purchased", it is much nicer now. I have seen some of this site's member's homemade plows that put the Cycle Country plow to shame!

MFW
12-05-2013, 07:18 PM
I wish I had the ability to do a project like this. I am a school teacher and live in Las Vegas From end of August to beginning of June then I head home to Michigan. I spend all of my breaks back in MI. I just bought a Big Red (1985) from a guy in Michigan a few weeks back. Looked to be in great shape and will be picking it up when I get back at the end of Decemeber. I was hoping to find a plow to bolt on and move snow (if we have snow). I don't have a welder or skills with a welder to do this myself. But I will keep my eye out for a plow and if someone is intrested in building one I will pay for it.

Thanks,

czac
12-05-2013, 09:49 PM
how is plowing with a trike? id imagine it isnt too easy, especially in deeper snow.

MFW
12-10-2013, 01:20 AM
Still looking. Located in Ann Arbor Michigan.

kb0nly
12-10-2013, 01:25 AM
how is plowing with a trike? id imagine it isnt too easy, especially in deeper snow.

Easy Peasy... Well it has been for me. 200ES with Cycle Country plow. I run tire chains for traction because i have gravel driveways that i let get a snowpack on them to form a nice ice road paving.. LOL

I have plowed well over a foot with it, pushes it and flips it off just fine no problems.

Daniel86
12-14-2013, 02:20 AM
found this on ebay thought someone on here might want it. http://www.ebay.com/sch/rpm_atv/m.html?item=131009653291&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

kb0nly
12-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Not a bad price for a complete one shipped.

MFW
12-14-2013, 05:14 PM
I did see that pop up. It's missing the 3rd mount by the motor. Looks like it's in good shape. Just needs that one piece. Does anyone here have that bracket?

kb0nly
12-14-2013, 09:17 PM
That bracket its missing is just a flat piece of metal with a hole in it. The plate goes under the nuts of the front motor mount bolts and gives you a hole for the lift rod, a scrap of flat plate and you can fab one up.

BIG DADDY TRI Z
12-14-2013, 09:21 PM
182355This is a quick pic of the one i built...i built a frame that bolts to the frame and the plow frame bolts to it....so 2 bolts and 2 wire connections about 5 minutes its off and ready to ride off plow free....

MFW
12-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Now that is slick.

BIG DADDY TRI Z
12-14-2013, 09:39 PM
it can be for sale....for the right money, i just built it because that's what i do when i get board

gunoskey3
01-02-2014, 07:08 PM

You have to start on it at the beginning and keep on it until the end. You can't just wait until it's all done and there's 2 feet of snow on the ground. I learned that the hard way! Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1HHgpMMqRE and all my other videos on YouTube.

gunoskey3
01-02-2014, 07:17 PM
I have always had a 3 wheeler. My first was a 1985 Honda 70 atc then upgraded to a 1984 125m. Fast Forward 15 years later..... I bought a 1985 Honda Big Red last week. I am pretty excited about it. Always wanted one and I finally found one in good shape. Now, I am searching for a cycle country plow for it. Any suggestions on where to look? I appreciate the help.

MFW

If you're considering fabricating a plow set-up of your own, it may be painful to get through all of them, but watch all 5 of my walk-around videos on YouTube. Here's Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utwARpn0YUk

kb0nly
01-02-2014, 08:45 PM
You have to start on it at the beginning and keep on it until the end. You can't just wait until it's all done and there's 2 feet of snow on the ground. I learned that the hard way! Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1HHgpMMqRE and all my other videos on YouTube.

Agreed, but that literally goes for anything with a plow on it. Trike, Quad, Truck, etc... You do it incrementally to keep up with the snowfall. If i know we are getting 4-6 inches i can wait and do it in one shot, but if i got time to go out and do it inbetween while its still snowing i will. Also if they are forecasting more then i take a few passes at it while its snowing. Don't get me wrong, i can push some pretty deep snow with this setup on my 200ES, but its faster and easier to do it incrementally.

MFW
05-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Old thread, but since I posted this I have located two plows. They are pretty cool setups for these 3 wheelers. Appreciate all the suggestions.

MFW

bradkeskey
12-27-2016, 11:42 PM
I have the original brackets that mount to the frame.