PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Yamaha YTM200E electrical

purplemotoman
11-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Hey guys. I am wondering if someone can help a guy out. I have no key switch for my bike and I am looking to hook up a toggle switch so that I can use the electric start and also to put a set of lights on the front of this bike. I have the wiring diagram for the bike but I am unsure of the wires. The diagram shows 4 wires coming from the switch but my wiring plug only has 3 wires in it ( red, brown and black). Hope someone can help.
Thanks.

czac
11-28-2013, 08:14 PM
did this trike have a key starter at one time? you can most likly find a replacement switch with a key on ebay. I just got one for my 225 DX... it might just be easier to do than to try and figure out wiring up a switch.

purplemotoman
11-29-2013, 11:58 PM
The bike never had a key and I was told the electric start didn't work. I jumped the solenoid and the bike started right up. The wires have been cut off flush with the wiring plug.

muthey
11-30-2013, 12:18 AM
you are missing a black wire somewhere, the actual wires are 2 black and a brown and red the two black kill the bike and the red and brown turn on the battery power and neutral light

purplemotoman
12-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Hey Muthey. Thanks for the feedback. I see now that they pulled the black/white wire completely out of the plug in. They used it to hook up a kill switch. When I bought the bike in 1996 the guy said the electric start was not working. I want to get all this wiring fixed so I can hook up a winch for my snowplow. Right now I am just using a manual winch.

Jwmajic
12-02-2013, 01:56 PM
I did that with a 225 yfm i just mounted the toggle switch under the seat and just used the handle bar kill switch it works just fine and after I started the bike I could turn the switch off so my starter wasn't drawing any juice while it was running to charge the battery faster. (the lights run off the motor so they are not affected.)

purplemotoman
12-11-2013, 07:36 PM
So I have put a plastic truck box on the back rack, put a car battery in it and now have electric push button start, head and taillights and my winch mounted for lifting and lowering my homemade snowplow. Last night we had between 1.5 - 2 feet of snow and it worked awesome. Just wish my bike was one with reverse. I also added my motorcycle stereo for some plowing tunes.