PDA

View Full Version : 1985 big red 250es electric starter question

DrewC
11-28-2013, 06:55 PM
I purchased a big red 250es. The electric starter works but does not turn the engine over. I know you are going to say the one way bearing is out. I had to replace a crankcase half, so I checked the one way bearing then. It's ok. Since the motor is out, I hooked up a battery and touched the positive battery terminal to the starter connection. The starter spins, but not the engine. Just for fun I put the positive lead on the engine case and touched the negative terminal to the starter, the engine turns over. I'm lost. Before I replaced the engine case I could kick start the three wheeler and ride it. My question, is the big red 250es negative ground or positive ground? Could the starter be wired wrong internally? I have looked at a wiring diagram on this site and it shows a black wire going to the starter relay, but doesn't indicate if that wire is coming from the positive or negative terminal. Sorry for the long winded post, but wanted to give some background. Thanks

kebby28
11-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Did you check the starter gears while it was apart?

jeswinehart
11-28-2013, 09:46 PM
And is it clicking or any noise at all when starter button engaged ??? If no noise (or power to starter) there is a goofy zig zagged fuse in the starter wiring. Not up front but between battery + starter in a little black plastic box (that is fairly hard to access),,, left side of trike I believe.

john

DrewC
11-28-2013, 10:04 PM
I removed starter reduction gear cover and bumped starter with negative ground config, the starter reduction gears were turning, but the wrong way. I bump starter with positive ground config and the engine turns over.

jeswinehart
11-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Well I don't quite know what to say about that, it is a negative ground system for sure.

atc500x
11-28-2013, 10:48 PM
2 choice
the starter been rebuilt and something is wrong in it (I already see it)IF I'm correct, really not sure,a trx350 brush plate will fit in the 250es starter and will give exactly this problem.A friend have had this problem last year.

the ground and positive cable are inverted,but habitually the fuse blow right now

DrewC
11-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going to tear into the starter to see if something is wired wrong. Hopefully an easy fix.