PDA

View Full Version : 84 YAM YTM 200 Shift Shaft Replacement

Chieflandis
11-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Just got myself a 1984 Yamaha YTM 200 and the Shift Shaft is broken off, Let me start by saying I have no experience on these but can just about fix any small engine and most larger ones. My question before I even start tearing into this thing is does anyone have the steps or instructions on removing the shift shaft? I have a manual coming but its going to be a week or so till I get it and I would like to try and get it removed this weekend.

Thanks

Ghostv2
11-29-2013, 08:27 PM
You have to take the whole rear end off. Remove all cables and take the swing arm bolt out and your good to go. Just loosen the shaft boot and it'll all slip right out.

Chieflandis
11-29-2013, 08:31 PM
OK Ill take a look and let you know how I make out or additional questions.

Ghostv2
11-29-2013, 10:13 PM
My bad, I didn't read it right. I was thinking of the output shaft or something broke in the rear end. I'm sorry.
For the shift shaft you have to crack open the left side case. I have never replaced one. I would try searching here on the forums. I imagine it's not too different between the different machines.

Howdy
11-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Just got myself a 1984 Yamaha YTM 200 and the Shift Shaft is broken off, Let me start by saying I have no experience on these but can just about fix any small engine and most larger ones. My question before I even start tearing into this thing is does anyone have the steps or instructions on removing the shift shaft? I have a manual coming but its going to be a week or so till I get it and I would like to try and get it removed this weekend.

Thanks
This PDF file will get you going Now: http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/Yamaha/ytm200-225-fm200l.pdf

If you need a shift shaft let me know. I pretty sure I have a good one at the shop.

Howdy

muthey
11-30-2013, 12:14 AM
you can also use a ytm 225 shift shaft, but it sticks out further, I replace my 83 200 chain drive with a 225 one, but I did a complete frame change to my 200 and made it fully suspended

Chieflandis
11-30-2013, 09:19 PM
GREAT! I will let you know if I need one. Gonna try and FAB one first!