PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Yamaha 225 DX clucth adjustment? help

nhwheeler
12-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Is there some way to adjust clutch or plates? new to the machine but seems like high rpms and not a lot of speed or power it moves but just seems to be revving higher than it's going. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated newbie to this rig☺

dougspcs
12-01-2013, 08:44 PM
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Manual has the adjustment process..but the adjustment is only for engagement and shifter operation.

Your issue sounds more wear related.

Be it a semi-auto or a full manual clutch the answer to the clutch slipping is the same..it's worn out!!

Sounds like it's time to pop the side cover off and perform some exploratory!!

muthey
12-01-2013, 10:04 PM
more than likely it is the centrifugal clutch. There is a timber wolf 250 conversion setup but it is not cheap, and neither are originals but once converted makes it easier the next time.

dougspcs
12-01-2013, 11:47 PM
more than likely it is the centrifugal clutch. There is a timber wolf 250 conversion setup but it is not cheap, and neither are originals but once converted makes it easier the next time.

Actually general rule based on poster's symptoms is its likely the secondary..the primary(centrifugal clutch) is what controls initial engagement from a standing stop. If its worn out you usually feel it slip from a standing stop accel.

After you're moving the secondary is the clutch that you engage and disengage as you switch thru the gears. When they wear out you'll start slipping at high speed and under load.

The primary will stay engaged until you slow back down and the RPMs drop back to idle speed.

That being said if the secondary is worn out the primary likely aren't too far behind!!

nhwheeler
12-02-2013, 08:25 PM
thanks guys for the info .the primary seems ok in 1st gear it dosent take off untill i give it gas and i dont have to rev the crap out of it to get it to start moveing also i can feel it kick in when i go from neutral to 1st so i would guess it the secondary are theses just clutch plates like a dirt bike or regular atv with a hand clutch? i have a another trike for parts its a basket case ( all the parts are in a basket ) is there a way to check if the primary from my parts trike is any good? and if the secondarys are just regular clutch plates can i use my parts ones or just buy new? i traded out a 2001 blaster for the two i wanted a good hunting rig and this thing besides the slight slipping issue runs great one pull start huge rear rack all lights work good plastics and tires so i dont mind putting in a few bucks i had a big red when i was a kid and loved it i am 40 now and things like blasters that go 60 mph in the woods dont do anything for me also just a thought could the trans be low on oil or wrong oil in it? the guy i got it from didnt seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed. i havent had a chance to go through the trike yet its been snowing and really cold here . again thanks guys for the info already downloaded manual

nhwheeler
12-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Well I went to adjust clutch and low and behold the nut that locks adjustment screw was gone replaced it and adjusted it and she goes perfect only thing I noticed was some oil drips around shaft boot bottom ( add to repair list ) I think its a seal and choke lever was stuck open so I'm sure this didn't help the lack of power issue fixed that as well (new to this machine still learning)

dougspcs
12-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Perfect, glad it's solved..but I hate to say that this is again one of those frustrating examples of what people do..

Their machine breaks, doesn't run right or starts making a funny noise..dismount, walk into the house and jump on the computer and ask why!!

The moral to the story is, look it over and then ask questions based on what you see!! We love to help, but make it worth all our time please!