PDA

View Full Version : Craiglist BEWARE.

Trike_crazy
12-05-2013, 08:17 AM
I just wanted to let you all know that as it gets closer to the holidays scams and robberies become more frequent. This hit closer to me then i ever thought possible. Last night a good friend of mine, an Iraq veteran, a husband and new father, son and brother was shot and killed last night. He was trying to buy an IPad and two guys tried to rob him. He had taken a pistol but didn't pull it and still had it and the money. The details are few right now but i just wanted you guys to be cautious as you make transactions with strangers. I've made my fair shares of selling and buying on craigslist but i think im dome for awhile as this has me sick just thinking about it.

hoosierlogger
12-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Damn Tyler, that sucks. Did this happen locally to us? Sad deal indeed. I always take a gun any time I meet someone I don't know. Definitely a wake up call.

Trike_crazy
12-05-2013, 08:31 AM
It was in Indianapolis. 10th and girlschool road. As far as we know he probably didn't know there was more then one guy. We think he was ambushed and when he wouldn't give up the money they shot him

hoosierlogger
12-05-2013, 08:38 AM
That sucks brother. Thinking of you and the soldiers family. It's a shame people don't want to work for things any more.

Trike_crazy
12-05-2013, 08:55 AM
I know right? And the sad part is they didn't even get the damn money.

hoosierlogger
12-05-2013, 09:20 AM
They will get more than they bargained for eventually.

Trike_crazy
12-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Thank you for the replies. It's just unreal that this happened. I figured I'd let people know that this could happen to them. If i can do anything in his memory I hope that i can keep this from happening to one of you guys.

badass350x
12-05-2013, 10:16 AM
This is sickening to hear! There time is coming. sorry for the loss.

Trike_crazy
12-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Hopefully IMPD finds the guys. It really makes you think about how good that next score on craigslist really is........

rdlsz24
12-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Try to meet in a public place when possible! Sorry to hear about your friend

Rob

Trike_crazy
12-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Thats the crazy thing..... It was in a busy apartment complex. There were people within 50 ft of where he was shot

Jwheeler
12-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Sorry for your loss. Same thing happen last year at this time to a collage kid here in the San Diego area. It was a ipad also.

JasonB
12-05-2013, 01:47 PM
sorry for your loss, that is terrible. I have sold close to 3 grand worth of stuff on craigslist this Fall so far, i dont even think twice about meeting people and having them come to me house to pick items up! I sold my fourwheeler for 2 grand a few weeks back, guy showed up with 6 people and I nearly crapped my pants thinking they were just going to take the bike and not pay me lol.

either way, buyers beware. sorry for your loss!

IronBear
12-05-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. There are a lot of nuts out there. Meeting in public place with security is the best thing, but you still need to watch your back.

Trike_crazy
12-05-2013, 03:26 PM
So i just met with the family to give them our condolences about an hour and a half ago. Let me tell you...... It was the hardest thing I've ever had to see. NO ONE should have to go through this.... Man this sucks...

ONEBAD350X
12-05-2013, 03:33 PM
I am very sorry to hear this news! Man this is a crazy world we live in!

Trike_crazy
12-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks again for all the responses. You guys have all been awesome.

atc007
12-05-2013, 07:26 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. Thanx for posting,and good luck with everything.

bigdaddyvw185
12-05-2013, 11:02 PM
sorry for your loss....... that is absolutely crazy to here...... i myself also do a lot of dealings on craigslist, hell i am scheduled
to go and pickup a trike for my buddy as a Christmas present on sunday, No doubt this will be on my mind when i go to do that. again sorry for your loss, my condolence's......

tri again
12-06-2013, 04:30 AM
Great item, 1/2 price, bring cash is a dead giveaway.
So sorry to hear.
They KNOW you have $$, driving slow, strange neighborhood
and they say Chicago is more dangerous than the middle east. The ipodpad probably never existed in the first place.

Most folks here meet at the supermkt and, yes, everyone carries.

Is there anything we can do?

Trike_crazy
12-06-2013, 02:59 PM
so they caught two punk ass brothers (one 18 the other 19) they think are suspects in the case. Im told they have stong evidence against them ( they found my friends phone and other stolen goods at their house). Ive posted a link to donate if you guys care to do so. And if you can like it on facebook to get the message out there that would be awesome

http://www.youcaring.com/other/love-and-support-for-jamie-and-gavin/113760

Trike_crazy
12-06-2013, 03:04 PM
BTW my friends name was James Vester. His veiwing is this weekend and i have drill but they are going to let me go to go see him.

Trike_crazy
12-06-2013, 03:07 PM
181941 R.I.P Jim.... you will be missed!

Trike_crazy
12-07-2013, 07:32 AM
So far there has been close to $60,000 raised for Gavin and Jamie. I thank any of you guys that helped or well help.

threewheelin-feelin
12-07-2013, 11:51 AM
any time i go for a craigslist ad i always take a couple friends with me and have gone many times with them. we also carrie a pistol when going to certain areas

Ghostv2
12-07-2013, 03:06 PM
You don't think it could happen to you, but it happened here too. About 45 minutes away from me in selinsgrove pa. A couple planned out a murder and contacted someone from craigslist to meet them and the guy choked him with an electrical cord while the girl stabbed him. They found his body in an Alley. This is sick stuff, no motive. Nothing stolen. I heard it on the radio today while further details are being discovered. It happened in November and she confessed last week to the murder. But today is when I head it had to deal with craigslist and it reminded me of this thread.
I'm sorry for your loss. This stuff can happen to anyone. We all know of the yahoos on craigslist.

Trike_crazy
12-07-2013, 09:40 PM
The best thing to do is to have friends with you, the more the better. Even with a pistol you won't be safe. My friend was real experienced with weapons, he was carrying a pistol at the time he was shot and he still was killed. Jus be more aware of your surroundings. That's the best advice i can give you after all of this

JustEnough
12-08-2013, 02:31 PM
There is a name for someone who won't meet you at their residence to complete a transaction...CURBSTONER...in other words, meet me at this address. After a few bad deals with those types of people, I won't deal with curbstoners again.

This tragedy shows just how bad it could get:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2520267/Veteren-Jim-Vester-murdered-arranging-buy-iPad-Craigslist.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Ghostv2
12-08-2013, 07:40 PM
The craigslist murder i mentioned that is close by has now made national news. Here is the link.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/08/justice/craigslist-thrill-killing/index.html

Trike_crazy
12-08-2013, 11:44 PM
So the showing went ok. I was ok till i got to his family that was standing after the casket. All of his friends that served with him on the ceremonial unit that are now performing his funeral did an awesome job of holding back the tears as we all walked past the casket sobbing. Tomorrow is going to ge the hardest... December 9th at 10 o'clock am in Brownsburg Indiana will be my friends funeral. Anyone that lives close is welcome to attend.

rdlsz24
12-09-2013, 05:05 PM
There is a name for someone who won't meet you at their residence to complete a transaction...CURBSTONER...in other words, meet me at this address. After a few bad deals with those types of people, I won't deal with curbstoners again.

This tragedy shows just how bad it could get:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2520267/Veteren-Jim-Vester-murdered-arranging-buy-iPad-Craigslist.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

That link is for the same guy this thread is about

Rob

Trike_crazy
12-11-2013, 10:16 AM
182223 9 December 2013