PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying 80cc Tecate

travchevy88
12-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi there, I'm new to the site so hopefully I do this right. I recently bought this tecate. Thinking it was a 250cc tecate from where I seen it for sale off the side of the road I approached It and started to realize how small it was. It turned out being an 80 cc tecate. Ive read all the threads on the 80 cc tecates from this site now its time to figure out who owned and raced it out here in So cal. I found it in Homeland Ca.
Anyways....
Its an 80cc kx 80 motor with the name Selvy written on the side of head. It has A+ triple tops, a hand made pipe, a tecate blue 250 axel, custom made swing arm, custom front wheel brake assembly, golf cart rear tires and rims, sun levers and sprocket, TCI throttle. the frame is what I think is a kx 80 and some well done unknown sub frame welded nicely. not sure where the brake calipers came from but there Kawasaki. they r not frm an 84 or 85 tecate as I have one to compare. It is almost like the one 80cc tecate in the threads here but mine has custom trips and a front disk brake. I need a front fender and information on the value?? If anyone remembers it please let me know It has # 32 and on the back sprocket it has the name Gary inscribed in it. It looks like it just was in a race as far as some thing s go like the big nut on back axel being drilled with tiny hole and wired to the disk brake.

bkm
12-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Rob Selvy is still active in the trike world. He's on Facebook and is part of bdt motorsports. I'm not an expert on the older conversions, but Tricky Dicks was famous for these. It might be one of their's, but don't hold me to it. You have a very cool piece of trike racing history there. Thanks for sharing.

Ghostv2
12-05-2013, 10:17 PM
I learn new things every day here, i had no clue these even existed.

yaegerb
12-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Wow...what is up lately with all the super nice ATC's??? Like BKM said, you have a serious piece of history there. I can't believe you also have a selvy motor and pipe. Damn, I live in the wrong state apparently. Don't k ow what that bike is worth but its very rare....seriously sweet find!

JasonB
12-06-2013, 10:34 AM
awesome find! im jealous, that is a cool bike to have. theres a handful of people around this site/fb that have them but they are few and far between!

hitmeup760
12-06-2013, 12:06 PM
I wonder if these were ever raced against modified honda 70cc trikes.

travchevy88
12-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Awsome score. Rob Selvey is also a member over on trx250r.com. He still building three wheel racers. Aswell as trx 250rs. If you want I can post these pics over there and see if he remebers anything about who he built it for. yes that's fine

doord521
12-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Why can't I ever find anything like this? Nice find for sure...

Xowner
12-08-2013, 01:45 AM
yes that's fine

Sending you a pm with Robs info in it, and what he told me !

robertc
12-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Killer find!

cochran
12-09-2013, 11:09 PM
so what did Selvy have to say?

BWard
12-24-2013, 06:42 PM
WOW, What a Very Cool Piece of Racing History, Awesome, Great Find

MIK6
01-03-2014, 12:51 PM
That looks alot like mine! Im guessing they rolled out of the same shop.
I spoke w the owner of Pro Design about his KX conversions, he said his had removable subframes and custom axle and carrier. Ours have neither so that rules them out lol.
yours looks to run 1st get T3 axle w disk brakes. Have you ran the motor #s to find out what year it is? That should give you info on the doner bike if the frame #s are powdercoated over.
Mine is a 84 kx 80, it looks to be the builders early attempts. Its not as refined as yours is. Extended kx tripples, drum brake legs and a 85 350x axle/ carrier. But they both use lime klt 200 rear fenders, both have same welded in swinger bracing, same rear subframe welding ect..
Its a cool piece for sure!
good luck w it!