PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250es engine removal help plz

Bilbo67
12-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi brand new to site and am hoping for some help. I'm trying to remove the engine on a 250es and am stuck at the drive shaft location. Can someone tell me what the next step is. All wires engine mount bolts are out I just don't know what to do at driveshaft location. Thanks in advance for any help

Ghostv2
12-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Never had a 250es so I don't know exactly but to remove the engine on other shaft 3 wheelers it's best to remove the whole rear end. You remove all the cables, loosen the clamp on the boot of the shaft, remove the swingarm bolt and then your engine will be free after you just slide the whole rear end out. Your shaft will come right out no problem.

Bilbo67
12-07-2013, 04:36 PM
I see where that looks like the method but looks like special tools needed to remove swing arm? Looks like a giant Allen?

dougspcs
12-07-2013, 05:12 PM
No need to remove the rear end..

It's a tricky little maneuver but you lift and jostle the engine out thru the left side..as it comes clear of the top tube the driveshaft just slips off the stub on the final drive..

It'll take you maybe an hour the 1st time due to the complex wrangling you have to do, but once you get it you'll do it again in 10 minutes.

I suggest using a short piece of 2x2 lumber to wedge on the left side under the motor and lever it up while you wiggle it clear of the upper tube..

Ghostv2
12-07-2013, 05:33 PM
No need to remove the rear end..

It's a tricky little maneuver but you lift and jostle the engine out thru the left side..as it comes clear of the top tube the driveshaft just slips off the stub on the final drive..

It'll take you maybe an hour the 1st time due to the complex wrangling you have to do, but once you get it you'll do it again in 10 minutes.

I suggest using a short piece of 2x2 lumber to wedge on the left side under the motor and lever it up while you wiggle it clear of the upper tube..

Maybe i was just too weak to do that by myself. :lol:
Plus another member suggested removing the rear end. Was not hard, im not complaining.

King Trikester
12-07-2013, 06:19 PM
I see where that looks like the method but looks like special tools needed to remove swing arm? Looks like a giant Allen?
I was wondering the same thing, i have the allen key, i believe its 17m but dont quote me on that, but do you need that special tool for the retaining nut? or can you do it with a punch and hammer? I tried but It seems to be seized and I dont want to do any damage to it. where can you get the tool?

King Trikester
12-07-2013, 06:24 PM
never mind I found it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Swing-Arm-Locknut-Wrench-Tool-07908-4690003-Quality-Made-in-the-USA-/170734654013?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c094123d&vxp=mtr

do you need this tool or is there a way around it?

Bilbo67
12-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Thanks guys was actually able to get engine out and replacement put in quickly with the tips. I did not have to remove the swing arm. Now that is done what do you guys do as far as replacement of exhaust pipe mine is rotten. Is this a used eBay item or are those aftermarket silencers a good replacement that claim to make it very quiet? Thx again for the tips

dougspcs
12-07-2013, 07:46 PM
never mind I found it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Swing-Arm-Locknut-Wrench-Tool-07908-4690003-Quality-Made-in-the-USA-/170734654013?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c094123d&vxp=mtr

do you need this tool or is there a way around it?

Yeah, remove the engine the manual method!

joe schmo
12-07-2013, 08:20 PM
I agree with Doug..Here is a manual if you don't have one and need one,There is only 250sx but they are pretty much the same. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

tri again
12-09-2013, 04:49 AM
Whatever we do, we are NEVER supposed to loosen the 3 allen head bolts
on the right angle output drive.
Some little washer falls off internally.
Please don't ask how I know.