PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing trailer skis needed...any ideas??

dougspcs
12-08-2013, 09:24 PM
I have a great little yard trailer and I want to convert it for winter use..looking forward to some ice fishing with my daughter. Once fitted I'll be able to haul my gear out onto the lake behind my sled or three wheeler.

My buddy has a trailer at his cottage that has these blow-moulded, light-weight plastic skis..they would be perfect for this application. If anyone has any idea where to find them, I'd be forever in your debt.

Again, I only need the skis themselves..I am aware I can use snowmobile skis but would prefer these.

Thanks..

atc007
12-08-2013, 09:35 PM
WOW, They are some impressive skis! Cats blow molded fronts are around $70 per,but as you know are not anywhere that stout. Good luck Doug !

coolpool
12-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Not as robust as your pictured ones, but hit the garage sales and get yourself a set of cheap cross country skis and bolt them directly to the bottom. The lower centre of gravity will stop tipping on uneven ground too.

dougspcs
12-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Bill, those skis are perfect..short, wide,and really light and they even have a wear bar on them!! I'd love to find a suppler..I contacted the company my buddy got his trailer from by email and hope they reply and will sell me a set of just the skis. Fingers crossed!!

Pete, my existing sled has a pair of recycled downhill skis I got from a garage sale and it's fine..problem is the sled wants to swing out to the side when I turn because there is no 'V' form to the bottom to steer it.

But this new trailer of mine is a perfect candidate for these blow-moulded skis..I thought I would hedge my bets and see if you guys had any ideas..

coolpool
12-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Bill, those skis are perfect..short, wide,and really light and they even have a wear bar on them!! I'd love to find a suppler..I contacted the company my buddy got his trailer from by email and hope they reply and will sell me a set of just the skis. Fingers crossed!!

Pete, my existing sled has a pair of recycled downhill skis I got from a garage sale and it's fine..problem is the sled wants to swing out to the side when I turn because there is no 'V' form to the bottom to steer it.

But this new trailer of mine is a perfect candidate for these blow-moulded skis..I thought I would hedge my bets and see if you guys had any ideas..

Understiood. For what its worth, you can get some cheap 3' long round stock from crappy tire, bend 2" of the the ends up 90 degrees, thread it and bolt them through the skis. If it's worth fixing?

dougspcs
12-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Understiood. For what its worth, you can get some cheap 3' long round stock from crappy tire, bend 2" of the the ends up 90 degrees, thread it and bolt them through the skis. If it's worth fixing?

I may just concede defeat and do that or something similar Pete..or maybe I can find an old pair of plastic sled skis and cut them down some.

I heard back from the company that sells this great looking trailer..just for the plastic ski kit they want $240 + shipping!! Wow, I didn't see that coming..for a pair of blown plastic skis that likely cost $5 to manufacture!

Scott9
12-09-2013, 02:33 PM
just wondering would an old pair of water skis work? you can find them with a v shape in the bottom and they're light.

dougspcs
12-09-2013, 10:27 PM
just wondering would an old pair of water skis work? you can find them with a v shape in the bottom and they're light.

Most water skis I've ever seen have been flat on the bottom, except for the skeg at the back of the ski..never seen V shaped skis before. Got a link to what you mean?

plastikosmd
12-10-2013, 08:37 PM
I use a pull sled, 80 bucks at bass pro. Load of rocks, sled usually last me a year, I use it hard
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/9e58fe8a2b0e6b45767dfcd6f46463f8_zpsf9937b3f.jpg

dougspcs
12-10-2013, 10:34 PM
I use a pull sled, 80 bucks at bass pro. Load of rocks, sled usually last me a year, I use it hard

You know what..I like it. I think I may just shelve the trailer project for another time and go get this..Gander Mountain right near me has it!

Thanks Dude..it's been cold for days now, people are talking about the ice fishing grounds being open by the weekend and this way I don't have to screw around.

MNhondaguy
12-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Everybody uses otter sleds round here. Have little channels all down the bottom to help tracking. My grandpa made a sled that my family uses, 1by for the sites and back, 3/8" ply on the bottom with a 1/8" sheet of poly something on the whole bottom. It's lasted us 7 years using only on ice and snow.

dougspcs
12-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Everybody uses otter sleds round here. Have little channels all down the bottom to help tracking. My grandpa made a sled that my family uses, 1by for the sites and back, 3/8" ply on the bottom with a 1/8" sheet of poly something on the whole bottom. It's lasted us 7 years using only on ice and snow.

I hear you, I have a great little sled I made several years ago that has a pair of downhill skis screwed to a plywood box..it's been great, but it's a bit beat up now.

Time for something new..

Found a great deal for at Gander on 'plastiosmd' suggestion.. http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Otter-Wild-Medium-Sled-Combo&i=772144

Just did it!!

I think I'll save the little metal trailer and paint it up as 'kebby' did with the red paint and Honda stickers..make a good warm weather project.

For now though..bring on the cold!!

MNhondaguy
12-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Fancy runners even! I hadn't realized they had come out with that yet, I'm sure you can replace those needed so the sled will last years.

dougspcs
12-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Well after admitting defeat and buying a sled from Gander, I get this call in response to my wanted add for these skis..

This guy who used to be a dealer but got out of the business has a brand new pair left over extra inventory..he's 2 hours away but has a business meeting in Sarnia today and we meet at the local Tims.

I scored these for $120 brand new..exactly the thing I was looking for!!

These things are brilliant..axle rated for 1000lbs, light weight plastic with metal wearbar. Way more than the little trailer I'll be putting on top will need.

The two dealers I contacted about them wanted $240 and 299.95 respectively plus shipping and taxes..would have cost close to $400 total.

Talk about luck..time to call Gander and cancel my order.

plastikosmd
12-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Nice! Looks great

MNhondaguy
12-13-2013, 02:56 AM
Holy shitballs those things are meaty.

dougspcs
12-23-2013, 05:27 PM
So I got a bit of time in on my sled..

Skis are perfect, built a wood frame under the box and bolted everything..not much for metal fabbing and don't have a welder.

Built a lid for the box to store gear in. Seat and footstep on the side for a comfy sitting spot out on the lake and for passenger to ride out..might make a couple handles on the lid to hang onto.

I have a auger tube ordered and on the way to bolt to the opposite side, then I'll build a small shelf on the back for 5 gal pails..a bit of paint to clean it up and we're golden!!

Scootertrash
12-25-2013, 01:04 PM
What's the brand name on the first trailer? Is there a brand name molded into the skis somewhere? Got a pic of the bottom of the ski?

Sorry for all of the questions... :P

dougspcs
12-25-2013, 07:03 PM
What's the brand name on the first trailer? Is there a brand name molded into the skis somewhere? Got a pic of the bottom of the ski?

Sorry for all of the questions... :P

The 'kit' comes from a ATV trailer supplier here in Canada called Bushbarrow..I haven't been able to source the manufacturer of the ski and there is no marking to on the ski themselves..

They are injection moulded plastic with a metal wearbear on the bottom..I'll get you a pic tomorrow if you'd like it.

The ski kit I have pictured is an optional piece the supplier offers for their line of ATV trailers..when I contacted them about the ski kit I was told it retailed for $240+tax and shipping.