PDA

View Full Version : Fork question

CanadianBoi
12-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Hey all I just joined up got a new to me 85 bigred 250 planning to restore it next summer as its in rough shape right now. It runs great though and so far been reliable put about 500 km on it so far. My big issue at the moment is lack of breaks all together but worst off is the front forks are leaking worn out pretty bad and I'm assuming full of water as they were frozen up solid after a night outside :mad: well I got them thawed out and they are now bottoming out. I pulled the front end apart yesterday and discoverd the shafts are pitted pretty bad and the right hand fork has next to no resistance and squeaks like crazy. I couldn't see where to add oil to them though? Theirs a drain? On the bottom but top is sealed with a circlip I'd like to drain old oil out right now and put fresh in and just keep topping it up untill summer or untill I find a 250sx parts bike with good forks and a straight triple tree as the tripe tree is tweaked beyond repair on this machine can anybody help with changing oil on these forks? Showa part number Hoa-003 thank you I've got aprx 80 km ride planned for this weekend and no breaks and dead forks are a bad combination I am hoping my new breaks are in before the weekend though thank you all here's a pic of my new toy and a shot from last weekend found a hidden mud hole under the snow haha

BWSwamper
12-11-2013, 07:08 PM
A friend of mine has one of those that's been working on the family farms since new when he was a kid. Only thing really wrong with it is the seat is pretty much torn off of it. I keep telling he ought to get a new seat done, and he keeps saying "why"?