PDA

View Full Version : 86 YTM225 DRS with broken header pipe

MtDew
12-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Digging into my new to me 1986 YTM 225DRS and it has a broken exhaust header pipe that is stuck in the head. Is this a known issue? I am looking to buy a complete performance exhaust but I still need to get the broken piece out of the head. Any tricks, tips or advice will be much appreciated.

dougspcs
12-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Broken bolt often, broken pipe..no!

Any chance you can post a pic?

MtDew
12-11-2013, 10:05 AM
I'll have to snap a few pictures. I just picked up the 225DRS over the weekend. The previous owner said the pipe broke about an inch from the head. He was able to get the 2 retaining bolts out but the remaining piece of pipe did not budge from the head. He had a friend weld a pipe of larger diameter pipe over the broken area to rejoin the header pipe. They were not able to get a completely sealed weld and the exhaust leaks. I want to remove everything and replace with a complete performance exhaust. I'm just worried about getting the pipe out of the head if it's truly stuck. Heat and or penetrating oil will be my best bet. Was also thinking maybe a Dremel type tool with a small bit to section out what's left of the end of the header pipe.

MtDew
12-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Going to give a closer look at the head/header pipe area and see it I can get any movement. I just was worried I might have to replace the head.

fabiodriven
12-11-2013, 03:52 PM
I fought mine with everything I had. In the end it took a rowdy friend and a couple of pry bars to get the flange out. Look into a product called Freeze-Off. Fricken shite worked miracles for me last week.

MtDew
12-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks, I was reading your post and saw the part about the pipe. Thought to myself, this is going to suck!