PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Big Red Carb

jevanof
12-11-2013, 04:31 PM
I just got a 1985 Big Red from a friend and the carb is seized, I took off as much as i can, but the throttle is completely jammed. Does anyone have tips to freeing this up?

tri again
12-11-2013, 05:07 PM
ok, deep breath.
I've had a few like that.
One was so bad I figured it was toast and with nothing to lose,
I took off all the plastic and rubber and boiled some water with vinegar
and then dropped in it.
Almost got divorced over a carb in the kitchen but it actually helped.
I say this for 2 reasons, water boils at 212F and these machines run about that temp so it shouldn't hurt anything. except for plastic.
and it always fires someone up to tell me I'm nutts or spur them to give the correct suggestion.
Where is FW when we need him?

redsox
12-11-2013, 07:20 PM
send it to flyingw, and buy a 30 pack. Drink two beers a day and before you finish your rack you'll have a mint carb that will run awesome in those grand rapids deep freezes. he has a thread on how to do it but i'd just send it to him. worth every penny.

jeswinehart
12-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Yep, just contact > http://www.3wheelerworld.com/member.php/22744-Flyingw

Flyingw
12-11-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm right here guys. I was out Christmas shopping for the Grandkids. Freeing up a stuck slide can be tricky. The slide has a Teflon coating so one has to be careful. I usually soak the slide with WD40 for a while then I take a screwdriver and stick it under the slide and see if I can get it to move. Once it moves, It will usually come out ok then its a matter of cleaning up the slide with solvent and working my magic on the rest of the carb.

jevanof
12-12-2013, 08:29 PM
can i send it to you?