PDA

View Full Version : 84 Big Red CDI Problems

fla.boy
12-13-2013, 03:57 PM
About a year ago I replaced my CDI box with a different box using directions that I got from someone here in this forum. I have since lost the instructions and the numbers on the box and need to replace the CDI box again. Due I think to my messed up wiring harness. If someone has the link to the replacement CDI or the numbers to order it please reply here. And does anyone know where to order a new harness? Thanks fla.boy

tri again
12-14-2013, 10:56 PM
try the search key.
kbonly wrote just about everything known to man about the cdi situation.
Apparently the chinese mfg 5 dollr ones work too.
Stay away from performance cdi units as they may have more advance than is compatible.
dratv might have the stuff you need..aka beatrice cycle

kb should be around soon.
Last I saw full wire harnesses for 15 bucks. (ebay)

kb0nly
12-15-2013, 06:44 PM
I'm here!

Sorry been busy on this end this last week.

Here is writeup i put up on it..

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/156644-ATC200ES-CDI-Replacement-Sticky-Been-asked-a-lot-lately.

And here is what Eric posted up when he followed along and did his, he has some nice pictures of the process.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/160494-5-pin-CDI-install-with-multiple-pics-and-other-start-button-no-worky...solenoid?highlight=200es+cdi

Its not hard to do!

Wiring harness is easy enough to find on eBay for under $20. What did you mess up on it?

fla.boy
12-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have the link now, kb sent it, so I'm ordering the box. I'll make sure that I don't lose it this time. And maybe with the new harness I wont
burn any more up. Again thanks. fla.boy

fla.boy
12-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the reply. I orderd the cheap one but was wondering if the connecters I have on there will work? I changed the connecters when I replaced the cdi 6 months ago. ( I used the cdi box you had in the link.) I want to replace the harness because the friend helping me says its so cut up and spliced he cant tell where the splice that is causing the short that burnt up my cdi . My knowledge of electrical things is a joke so he is helping me with this. My electric starter wont engage unless I short the sylnoid ( sorry, my spelling sucks) and I hope that with a new harness my starter button will work. Thanks again for the links, I wont lose them again. I would like to ask for more advise from you in the future if that's all right. Again, thanks. fla.boy

kb0nly
12-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Ok, if your harness is that chewed up i would just replace it, probably going to be a lot less headaches for you. I have completely rebuilt harnesses but then electrical stuff is like second nature to me, if you can find a good used one that would be the best route.

If you already replaced the CDI connector you could always chop it off and reuse it but then your just splicing up the new harness. I would just remove the connector shell from the CDI plug on the new harness when you get it and put those crimps into the replacement square connector shell, no cutting no splicing. Worst case if the connector is corroded up on the harness you buy you could cut off the very end of the CDI wires and put on new crimps and connector shell for the newer CDI. Do it right with it off the trike first, lot easier to deal with the harness on the bench.

And of course its alright, just ask away!

fla.boy
12-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks again