PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Honda 200E Performance

spenceedb
12-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Hi guys, I'm looking for a few ways to beef up my old jalopy. I currently need a new rear sprocket, chain, muffler maybe the carb and new rear axle or at least one that's not bent. I was also considering switching my thumb throttle with a twist. Any body familiar with this machine that has done performance upgrades, I would love to hear any advice you have. I woud prefer to upgrade then to purchase oem. I've been wrenching on this dinosaur here and there for the past 2-3 years. still a green as hell.

Thanks guys

ScreaminRed
12-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Hey there and welcome! I have to say honestly that you should just keep it as close to stock as possible. I have one and it's bone stock with plenty of power in low gear and not too slow topped out in 5th in high gear. I've never even bothered to look for performance upgrades. The 200E is meant to be a utility vehicle really. You could buy something that was already performance like say a 200X, 250SX, 350X, or a 2 stroke 250R. There are other brands from Yammy & Kawi too.
You don't have to buy OEM parts, there are aftermarket parts for them too. I just replaced the chain & sprockets on mine & that's not really a small job! Lol. As for the axle, i would ask here if anyone has a good used one, or check ebay or amazon, etc etc. So, performance wise, i don't think you'll run across a lot of stuff, but you can definitely get her back up and running as she once was! Good luck!

tri again
12-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Hi and welcome.
See if the search key works for you.
It could give you tons of info in one click.

If the axle isn't too bad, I had a gunsmith straighten one for me.
They do it to rifle barrels all the time.

x2 with Screamin.
Maybe I'm old and lazy but it seems easier to get another trike and keep the stock ones running as intended and enough of a challenge for me.
There ARE some folks that get extra credit in school and have an 'extra' engine or something they want to work up in the off season, so for that, I hope to not discourage you.

It's also hard to get sympathy for having more than one trike, at least on this board.

spenceedb
12-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Alright. Makes a bit of sense. Keep the ole girl stock. Thanks guys.

King Trikester
12-15-2013, 02:15 PM
I recommend getting a 250sx, I've got an 84 200es and the difference in performance is amazing, I love both of them, the 200 always runs no matter what temp it is out side, so my plan is to turn the 200 into a work horse, tire chains and a snow plow for winter. You would spend more money on the 200e than just buying a cheap 250sx, or even a 200x and they would perform better, and don't forget about rear suspension, it makes a huge difference when it come to trail riding