PDA

View Full Version : YTM225DRS electrical troubleshooting help

MtDew
12-14-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm trying to work thru some of the electrical issues I have on the new to me 1986 YTM225DRS I recently purchased. I installed a new battery, new starter solenoid, cleaned the starter push button contacts so far.

The issue I have is the starter doesn't even try to turn over when the start button is depressed. I know the wheeler must be in neutral for the starter to be activated. I made sure the trike was in neutral. The green neutral light does not light up(I haven't yet checked to see if the bulb is ok). I think I either have a faulty neutral switch or a faulty starter lockout relay.

Is there any simple checks I can do to narrow this down? I down loaded the manual and have just started reading thru the electrical section. I have a nice volt meter at the ready.

Anyone have some good used parts?

MtDew
12-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Is there a generic relay I could pick up at a local auto parts store to use in place of the OEM starter lock out relay? It is only a 4 pin relay.

czac
12-14-2013, 08:32 PM
does the starter work? the one on my dx was dead but i had an extra one. try going around the switch as i also had a dead one of those too. lol but once i knew the starter was working, i was able to narrow it down to the switch.a 12v test light works well for checking for power at the different componants in the electricle chain...

czac
12-14-2013, 08:38 PM
there is an inline fuse too, check that.

MtDew
12-14-2013, 08:48 PM
The starter does turn over if I connect it straight to a battery or battery charger. So I don't think it's the starter. I have a spare I will probably install as I think the spare is in better condition. I have checked the fuse and that is also good. I'm tending to lean towards the Starter lock out relay. I will be doing more troubleshooting tomorrow. I can't get the green neutral light to light up when the trike is def in neutral. The trike runs if I pull start it. I would just like to get the electric starter operational.

El Camexican
12-14-2013, 08:57 PM
The starter does turn over if I connect it straight to a battery or battery charger. So I don't think it's the starter. I have a spare I will probably install as I think the spare is in better condition. I have checked the fuse and that is also good. I'm tending to lean towards the Starter lock out relay. I will be doing more troubleshooting tomorrow. I can't get the green neutral light to light up when the trike is def in neutral. The trike runs if I pull start it. I would just like to get the electric starter operational.

Are you sure the green light bulb is working (not burnt out)? Take your relay to Autozone and see if they can match it. Can you bypass the N lockout?

MtDew
12-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Tomorrow I will dig in deeper. I don't know if the green neutral light is good or not. Regardless I know the trike is in neutral and the starter does activate when I depress the button. I have a few automotive relays in the shop so I may have to experiment. We are in the middle of a 6-8 inch snow storm so after I clear the driveway tomorrow I will be able to get back to the wheeler.

MtDew
12-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Dug into it alittle more today. First I tested the Starter Cut Off Relay. The relay tested good, so I moved on in my investigation. I found the neutral switch by the shifter is severely rusted and the wiring terminal easily crumbled in my hand. That wire should have continuity to the green neutral light in the dash. It didn't so I traced the wire back to a pull apart connector. While tracing the wires I noticed that the wires were pinched by a bracket. It could be from the previous owner, maybe he removed the bracket and pinched the wires. So tomorrow at work, I'll make up a new wire. I need to order up a new neutral switch so it might be a few days until I can see if these issues fix the electric start

El Camexican
12-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Dug into it alittle more today. First I tested the Starter Cut Off Relay. The relay tested good, so I moved on in my investigation. I found the neutral switch by the shifter is severely rusted and the wiring terminal easily crumbled in my hand. That wire should have continuity to the green neutral light in the dash. It didn't so I traced the wire back to a pull apart connector. While tracing the wires I noticed that the wires were pinched by a bracket. It could be from the previous owner, maybe he removed the bracket and pinched the wires. So tomorrow at work, I'll make up a new wire. I need to order up a new neutral switch so it might be a few days until I can see if these issues fix the electric start

Sounds like someone's gonna have a estart soon!:beer

czac
12-16-2013, 08:55 AM
I need to order up a new neutral switch so it might be a few days until I can see if these issues fix the electric start

Neutral switch?
Ill check my extra motor and see if there's one on it. If there is and its not broken or rusted, Its yours, free!

MtDew
12-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks! It screws into the side of the case just under /around the shifter shaft. Mine had a light blue wire attached to it. When in neutral it closes and provides grounding for both the green neutral light and the starter cutoff relay. Let me know!

czac
12-16-2013, 09:41 AM
not a problem!

MtDew
12-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Sounds like someone's gonna have a estart soon!:beer

Here hoping I figured this all out. I had shoulder surgery on my left shoulder so pull starting the wheeler is not as fun as it used to be, haha.

MtDew
12-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Somewhat success! Temporarily ran a wire to replace the pinched / damaged neutral switch wire. I grounded that wire and hit the start button, vaaarrroooommmm!
Now I just need to get a neutral switch and make a wire and button the wire harness back up

MtDew
12-16-2013, 10:00 PM
I also noticed that my original starter seemed like it was struggling. I had a new aftermarket starter so I figured I'd install it. I broke off the 2 screws that hold the starter bracket to the motor. I guess I will have to try and drill out the remainder and try and retap so I can install a few screws. Fix one issue, create another!

Onward we go!

czac
12-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Somewhat success! Temporarily ran a wire to replace the pinched / damaged neutral switch wire. I grounded that wire and hit the start button, vaaarrroooommmm!
Now I just need to get a neutral switch and make a wire and button the wire harness back up

Does it look like this??
http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/i-XQzPRzN/0/M/i-XQzPRzN-M.jpg

http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/i-QzPXzBM/0/M/i-QzPXzBM-M.jpg

IM me where to send it....

MtDew
12-17-2013, 08:39 AM
YUP!!!!!! That's the part.

czac
12-17-2013, 09:54 PM
its on its way.... be on the look out for that big brown truck!

MtDew
12-18-2013, 09:15 AM
its on its way.... be on the look out for that big brown truck!

Excellent! Thanks again for the help.

I got the 2 broken bolts driledl out and retapped last night. New starter got installed. Made a new wire for the neutral switch. I have a few other odds and ends to correct and then I need to purchase some tires.

czac
12-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Good... E start is soooo much nicer than pulling the rope!

czac
12-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Excellent! Thanks again for the help.

I got the 2 broken bolts driledl out and retapped last night. New starter got installed. Made a new wire for the neutral switch. I have a few other odds and ends to correct and then I need to purchase some tires.

from the UPS tracking....

Horsham, PA, United States 12/18/2013 6:24 A.M. Out For Delivery

MtDew
12-18-2013, 08:22 PM
from the UPS tracking....

Horsham, PA, United States 12/18/2013 6:24 A.M. Out For Delivery
Switch received and installed. I have a working Electric Starter!!!! WoooHoooo!

Thanks CZAC!