PDA

View Full Version : Storms and power outtages

tri again
12-14-2013, 06:42 PM
We think we have it bad until we turn on the weather channel
and see what the rest of the country is getting.
We wonder what people do when the power goes out and it's below freezing.

Hope everyone is ok.

ps - Also been an epidemic of broken water pipes. Almost impossible to find pipe fittings
county wide for love or money.
When the kids were little, I bought a whole shopping bag of pvc fittings for them to play with, since they were getting into mine anyway.
Sure glad I did.
Frozen pipes aren't that bad...until they thaw out when you're not at home.

We had hail freeze to the picnic tables with an ambient air temp of 40 degrees and it Stayed frozen to the tables for the rest of the day at 40 degrees.

East coast dad said the same thing about powerline ice in Virginia last week.
Wish I knew the physics of that phenomenon.

tri again
12-14-2013, 08:32 PM
I simply connot imagine living without a couple cases of canned food,
5 - five gallon buckets of rice and dry goods
and a woodstove that I can cook on and is surrounded by water pressure tanks.

When they say a million people without power and below freezing...I just don't know.
When I lived on the faultline, I'd go to costco and get chickenbreast with bone in, steaks and porkchops and bbq them all the same day...put 'em in the freezer cooked and ready to reheat on the bbq as needed.
Nice way to load the cooler for camping trip. Eatin' real good as they thawed out.
Freeze hot and sour soup from our fav Chinese restaurant too.

So? be ready to go camping at the drop of a hat?
What about the folks who are all prepared but their houses have moved a couple blocks?
Storm cellar?
Maybe re read history and see what the indigineous people did 1,000 years ago?
Candles under the sinks to keep pipes from freezing?

Build an igloo with an oil lamp for heat?

Mosh
12-14-2013, 08:40 PM
The more I look back on history , the Indians had it going on. To be able to pack up an entire village in a few hours and relocate all you needed for whatever reasons all while being able to fabricate all that you needed out of the dirt seems an idea completely foriegn to us these days.It is a shame modern man drove them out and promised to take care of them by placing them on some postage stamp reservation. We can see how well that worked for them.

Liquid-Darkness
12-14-2013, 09:08 PM
We are lucky here in central California.. The worse we see is fog and cold weather just near freezing.. But its not so bad.. Summers are pretty hot though. A rain storm every few weeks in winter.. Had a small earthquake a few days ago.. So greatfull for the weather we get..LOl.

kb0nly
12-14-2013, 09:12 PM
What do we do?

Fire up the generator, turn on a movie, relax in a warm house and soft chair and drink a beer while watching... Don't really disrupt my life much when the power goes out. We had a couple nights this past week with power outages due to galloping lines in the wind. Not that big of a deal when your prepared, i even turned the outside christmas lights on, ya know so the neighbors have some light... LOL

tri again
12-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Nice, KB
I forgot I got a 12 volt jumper box that ran my tv for 3 days round the clock and will recharge if I drive it around in the truck.
TV battery lasts 2 hrs so that was one 50$ upgrade.
Have a 220 gen for the well pump and an 800 watt 2 stroke gen for the frigerators.

Friend has a gas fireplace but it's electrically controlled so no way to light it without electricity.

atc007
12-14-2013, 11:21 PM
We think we have it bad until we turn on the weather channel
and see what the rest of the country is getting.
We wonder what people do when the power goes out and it's below freezing.

Hope everyone is ok.

ps - Also been an epidemic of broken water pipes. Almost impossible to find pipe fittings
county wide for love or money.
When the kids were little, I bought a whole shopping bag of pvc fittings for them to play with, since they were getting into mine anyway.
Sure glad I did.
Frozen pipes aren't that bad...until they thaw out when you're not at home.

We had hail freeze to the picnic tables with an ambient air temp of 40 degrees and it Stayed frozen to the tables for the rest of the day at 40 degrees.

East coast dad said the same thing about powerline ice in Virginia last week.
Wish I knew the physics of that phenomenon.

No secret I Love Winter. Been waiting all year for snow. Got a little today,,8 or 9 right now. But a couple weeks ago, we got about 2 inches. It rained ALL night long. It should have been brown here by 2 am. That snow was still there the next morning and all day! I've lived here 43 years. This just does NOT happen. I hadn't heard anyone else talk of this till here. Our TV's off,,but more and more lately I'm thinking about catching a few minutes of their drama/stories a day to try and keep up just a bit on what they Say is going on in the world.

tri again
12-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Yes, Glamy, I remember the calif christmas.
Mowing the lawn in shorts christmas eve.
seems like everyone got up, started EVERY car in the state and just let them idle all day long going nowhere.

..and to 007, that little tv has the weather channel from the air but it really just lights the room and is safer than candles.

Mrs.Mosh
12-15-2013, 08:29 PM
I too feel you need to be prepared. You never know what could happen, not just power outages. Power outage should be nothing more to you than a mild inconvenience.

Having said that...I love where I live. Never in a million years would I move somewhere warm all the time. I love the seasons. The fall colors, playing in the snow, looking forward to spring gardening... Not for everyone, but definitely for me. If it was the same everyday, I think It would get boring. Just my opinion.