PDA

View Full Version : 1985 tecate build

travchevy88
12-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Here is a 1985 Tecate I bought for 200.00. I just did a basic clean up and paint. Put a 72 mm piston and ring kit in and extended the stock swing arm. I am waiting to find some nice low profile tires on some aluminum
rims next. The first four photos is the adds from craigslist where I found the Tecate. It was pretty hammered as It sat under that tree for at least 10 years. I had to tear it completely down. The motor was supposed to be no good but found that the magneto magnet broke which made it appear that the bottom end was frozen. The magnet was lodged and jammed into the stator which froze the whole system up. I had two ruined extra motors that it came with, one had a good magneto and one a stator. I was able to get the motor ready to run for only a piston and rings setback. The last five photos are most recent after I cleaned and painted the frame parts. There how it sits today. Like I said earlier I only need rear rims and tires. I'm also not sure if I should run the stock air box or not. What r your opinions on running the stock air box vs. running a universal bolt on uni style air filter with no air box?? I will keep u posted on this project and I have more photos and information on my 1985 80cc Tecate built by Rob Selvy. He remembers that bike I recently purchased and knows who used to race and own it. Im waiting to talk directly to him. Ill let everyone know the outcome. thanks

jeswinehart
12-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Nice save on the Tecate Travis. Equally as nice work area too.
IMO on not running a air box is that is fine but I would strongly suggest to support air cleaner in such a fashion it is not relying on the fragile carb intake boot for support on these high vibration unbalance 2 stroke engines.

john

robojoe9
12-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Nice original Kawasaki. Nice restore job, looks great!

hitmeup760
12-18-2013, 07:39 PM
That's a nice kawi I've been trying to get one for about a year but finding one in cali is hard and when they do come up people want like 2000 in the same condition as you found yours.

Lee atc
12-18-2013, 09:06 PM
cool trike , that was a sweet find,nice restore.....

JasonB
12-18-2013, 10:34 PM
Nice tecate, great job in the restore too! Thing looks kinda bad ass with those little wheels/tires on the rear lol