PDA

View Full Version : Rewind always breaking

Sassnfrass1
12-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Can anybody tell me why my rewind rope keeps breaking every 10 - 15 pulls? Yes I do use the
decompression lever. I've also tried various ropes & cables. Do I have to retard something?? This is
On my 1983 honda 200m 3 wheeler

webbch
12-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Where is it breaking? Right at the pull handle or somewhere else? When using it, does the pullstarter seem excessively hard to pull? I'm guessing not, since you're using the decomp lever.

How tightly is the recoil set up? I set them so it fully retracts the rope and doesn't allow the pull handle to flop over. Anything beyond that is probably too much IMO.

If all that's good, the rope has to be chaffing somewher on the mechanism. You'll just have to pull it apart to find out where.

My 200s had a steel cable on the recoil (instead of a rope) when I bought it. It's the first thing that went out the door. Granted they have more tensile strength than rope, but if you're breaking ropes, you need to address the problem, not the symptom.

Highhorse78
12-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Its been awhile, but I believe there is a roller/guide on the inside of the recoil housing. A lot of times that can become worn and cut or misguide the rope. Also make sure you're pulling straight up as opposed to an angle. Sometimes a groove can get worn into the opening in the housing that can cause it to become a sharp edge. Just some things to check... hope this helps.

shortline10
12-17-2013, 04:56 PM
He hit the NAIL on the head :lol:
Inspect and sand were needed .

Its been awhile, but I believe there is a roller/guide on the inside of the recoil housing. A lot of times that can become worn and cut or misguide the rope. Also make sure you're pulling straight up as opposed to an angle. Sometimes a groove can get worn into the opening in the housing that can cause it to become a sharp edge. Just some things to check... hope this helps.

Ghostv2
12-17-2013, 11:08 PM
I ride my fathers trike he got brand new in '85, recoil is still 100%. Take the recoil off, inspect it like the other members suggested. Normal wear and tear should not be doing that. Make sure the gasket is good, make sure the recoil handle goes back in securely so it completes the seal, if water gets in it may rot the rope. It would also probably benifit you to get a proper recoil rope, not just clothes line stuff. I think it goes for pretty cheap.

tri again
12-18-2013, 02:46 AM
I've seen rope wth cable in the middle.
Lawn mower rope lasts about 10 pulls.

Where is the rope breaking?
where it knots around the pulley?

airbats801
12-18-2013, 03:57 AM
I've had a lot better luck with rope from a lawn n garden shop then the crap honda was selling, and the price is about 1.50 from the local lawn shop.

Bren_downe
12-18-2013, 04:28 AM
I've heard the best pull cord rope is Kevlar accessory cord, used by rock climbers. It will never break, just a biotch to tie a knot.