PDA

View Full Version : 2005 KFX 50 will not move unless wheels are lifted off the ground

New2Tri-Z
12-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Just like the title says, it starts and runs perfect. You can stab the throttle no problem but the quad does not hardly want to move under its own power. I was starting to think it was the throttle cable but pulled everything apart and the slide is opening fully and closing off. I am starting to think the clutch is going bad or something? can anyone provide any input on this problem? is there a way to check or adjust the clutch? Maybe it got wet or dirty? I am about to pull the cover and look at it but wanted to eliminate any other issues first. The carb is spotless and good fuel flow. The intake is clean but i am going to remove the restrictor this afternoon. Also going to pull the exhaust just to check if its plugged up somehow. Brand new spark plug and airfilter, so i am running out of options. Somebody please chime in and give me some ideas.

Also looking for a service manual if possible for this beast.

I have tirelessly searched the internet for some answers and found lots of threads where people asked similar questions but absolutely no responses :wondering. This place is full of geniuses so I figured someone here can actually help me out. You haven't let me down yet. Thanks in advance for your help.

atc007
12-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Is the intake snuffer out of the carb ?. Exhaust also came with a restricter. But I'm guessing your problem is the left brake handle safety switch. Check em out :) If not these,,clutch would be your next stop.

New2Tri-Z
12-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Got the restricter out of the intake. I dropped the exhaust but haven't seen a restricter in their so I am going to clean it up and put it all back together and see if we have a difference. As far as the left brake handle safety switch you are talking about the the button that locks the handle down to start it correct? It does appear to work but I will have a look at it. Are you thinking it may be applying the brakes constantly? Thanks for your help Bill, I have gotten no where in a hurry trying to find some info on these online.

atc007
12-18-2013, 02:59 PM
I am not 100% sure this has one,but I think it does. It's an electrical over ride switch for starting. If it's bad,it will act just like a rev limiter,but way down low..

New2Tri-Z
12-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Thank you Bill. One last questions for now :lol:

At first I thought you meant this button/pin (part #92043-S028)
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b279ff8700223e4792135/handle-lever

But after reviewinf the microfiche I am wondering if this is the switch we are talking about (part #27010-S051)
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b279ef8700223e4792129/ignition-system

If so I can just test the switch for continuity correct? Thanks for helping me out.

New2Tri-Z
12-30-2013, 01:10 PM
OK so i drained the oil and pulled the clutch cover. Clutch seems to be in pretty good shape. Both grooves are still visible on both shoes and the hub measures 3.422" (max ID is 3.44"). The hub is slightly blued from heat but all in all not too bad of shape. Cant see why this would be the problem? I am starting to think it must be in the carb circuit? I have pulled the intake and the exhaust so there are no restrictors or blockage in either? What about air filter material debris entering the cylinder? I have found no trace of the old element making it in their but allot of material was missing. Again it starts and idles perfect just kinda of falls flat at the mid/top (bogs almost like large air leak). It is not so resistant to the rev if you lift the tires off the ground, but stills seems to bog slightly. Gonna pull the carb and do a full rebuild (instead of cleaning) and replace the intake/exhaust gaskets. I am hoping it is something silly, but starting to run out of ideas.