PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200s oil problems.

Domi
12-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Hey guys,
I have an 84 Honda 200s, the bike runs great. This past summer I was out for a ride and decided to pull my dip stick for the oil, I wipe it off and all that and put it back in. I pulled it again and it was low at the tip. I did this several times and got the same result dip stick, telling me I was down almost a litre of oil. So I drive back to my truck, and pulled the dip stick again. This time I had enough oil on the dipstick.

I went home and checked again samething saying I was full of oil. So I drained the oil as it was due for a change, and added new oil. After doing the new oil change I checked the oil several times, and would run the bike. Oil level was normal, I went for a ride and again the dipstick stated I was down 3/4 of a litre. I know I added the proper amount of oil. I went back to my truck, and samething the dipstick showed my oil level was normal. So my question is what could be causing this?
I don't want to blow the engine or add more oil when it shows proper oil. I checked for leaks and there is none, my bike doesn't smoke either so i'm not buring oil. What could it be????

Jason125m
12-18-2013, 05:31 PM
The only accurate oil measurement is just after the bike has ran. When you initially do your change, check to make sure the machine is full to the line, let it run for 5 minutes.
Then you check again while the top end is full of oil, and add oil accordingly.

dougspcs
12-18-2013, 05:56 PM
It's all in the angle of the dangle Domi!!

If the trike was sitting on unlevel ground leaning to the left then oil would on the left side of the case..making it appear low to the dipstick on the right. (not referring to you of course!!)

Simplest answer is usually the right one..says William of Ockham.