PDA

View Full Version : motor rebuild

nutcase67
12-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Well, I guess I'm going to have to rebuild my 200 ES motor myself. The local shops don't want to rebuild it, they say we can't find part to do the work. Who out there have heard this from a dealer. :mad:

tri again
12-21-2013, 01:05 PM
200es?
I'd wait until someone who knows chimes in.
Very common machine and parts should be everywhere.

Are you sure it needs rings and stuff?
Low compression?
smokes too much?

do you have a
service manual
?

search key works like a dream too if you want to check out other rebuild threads

kb0nly
12-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Considering its age i am not surprised they are saying that. Its not that bad to do, i rebuilt two 200ES motors this year. There is plenty of sources for the parts, no worries there. If you want a turnkey rebuild just send the cylinder and head off to a place like G&H Discount ATV, they do all the machine work and ship it back with all the parts you need to reassemble.

If you have a motorcycle shop around you have them do the machine work. The 200ES is such an easy motor to work on. Its harder getting the motor back in the damn trike then it is to tear it down and rebuild it... LOL

nutcase67
12-21-2013, 03:18 PM
looking back previous owner put on new carb so he me have left the old throttle valve assembly on and just replaced the carb body which could be why I don't have throttle control did it once my self so its possible I've replaced head gaskets and retimed a 200 motor just never went that deep into an engine I have manual its just doing it that worries me

kb0nly
12-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Don't worry... The 200 motors are so easy! The only special thing you need is the flywheel puller, which in the case of the 200 is just a metric bolt, but they do make specific pullers for them as well that threads into the flywheel to pop it off the crank. Why would you need to remove the flywheel is what some ask.. Well to do a top end job you really wouldn't have to exactly, but if your going to pull the whole top end off its best to replace the timing chain and the tensioner and guide bands for it as well. Cheap insurance and easier to do it now then have to ruin all those fresh gaskets to do it again.

The last one i rebuilt took maybe a half hour teardown and a half hour reassembly... Minus a week or so of mailing the parts back and forth for machine work since i lost my local shop that used to do this stuff for me. Basic tools required, ratchet, sockets, wrenches, get some allen head sockets for pulling the rocker cover off and to torque back down, a good torque wrench also. Other than that it just hand and manual. About one of the easiest you can do a top end on is the 200's in my opinion.

nutcase67
12-21-2013, 07:01 PM
I already have a new tensioner and timing chain and a flywheeler puller.