PDA

View Full Version : what happened to 22 ammo

poohbee1
12-24-2013, 09:29 AM
I went to buy 10 /22 ruger for my son for Christmas would have been his first gun .I had no idea you cant buy ammo for this little guns if it wouldn't have been for a guy in the store I would have bought it. The salesman tells me they will get more ammo on Thursday but forgot to mention you have to stand in line for an hour before the store opens and you still might not get any. I had no idea

Scootertrash
12-24-2013, 10:03 AM
.22 ammo has been hard to get since the onslaught of anti-gun legislation after Sandy Hook. Once other calibers got hard to find and/or expensive because of shortages, people started shooting .22 more since it was cheaper (or USED to be). In addition, there has been an increase in new shooters. The manufacturers are pumping out millions of rounds a week, but it's gonna take a while to get caught up. Be patient, buy it when you can find it, or head over to Gunbroker. ;)

Poco Loco
12-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Also Homeland Security and the Department of Justice are stockpiling it to add to the shortage. What good is a gun without its ammo. Obama knows he cant take all our weapons so he is attacking the ammo supplys. He just ordered the largest lead smeltering plant in the usa to shut down. Its going to get tougher to buy ammo.

Start buying Primers and powder and projectiles. Reload you own ammo. Save those rimfire rounds. Plink ammo you can reload.

poohbee1
12-24-2013, 10:55 AM
I went to gun broker "the hell with that " I got a couple of old colt ar-15 s Ive had for about 20 years I Think I will put one of those collapsible stocks on one of those .I have plenty of 223 ammo and I will save the casings.

Poco Loco
12-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Gunbroker prices get stupid high. Its hard to believe how folks run those prices up. I was shopping on there for I while and got lucky a few times with a deal.

When I need reloading componets I now shop online stores like Midway ,natchez, sportsmans warehouse, ect. You do have a much longer waiting period on gunpowder though. But buy ahead of time and It all works out. Go in on your primer and powder purchase with a buddy so you can split the Hazmat fee.

I do load 223 for my ar. Its much cheaper and cool doing custom loads. Save that brass!

Rider414
12-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Sandy Hook, Obama, Government Stockpiling, DHS, Hoarders and Resellers...........................something is going on.

Ammo is out there but you have to put the work in to find it and that's not right.

Ghostv2
12-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I can get .22lr ammo no problem. Granted sometimes walmart is sold out, but i can just go to a gun store and get a few boxes. I can even get .22 magnum, got 200 rounds yesterday. This was all at walmart. I have thousands of .22 rounds at my house. I guess my dad got into the whole "scare" too and stocked up on ammo. We have a whole metal gun safe gutted out and nothing but shelves of ammo for various calibers.

I guess it just comes down to the area where you live.

JayBone
12-24-2013, 01:52 PM
I score it at walmart, but it's hit or miss. Yes sometimes there is a line but it's worth it.

CRAZY70MAN
12-24-2013, 02:02 PM
It ain't wahat area ya live in.....its all the people going in with the entire family for the 3 box per person limit and getting 20 boxes and reselling it like here. .22 are a rare thing to see unless you know what day the stores get the shipments and I do. Last American lead smelting plant also shut down.....this may mean all lead will have to be imported?? And guess what that means??? Import tax my friends.......the govt has more than one way to skin a cat....

redsox
12-24-2013, 06:08 PM
tough to get in massachusetts. gotta travel north of the border into NH to get .22 rounds. be careful who you vote for. obama cant do a damn thing about the right to bear arms, but the constitution says nothing about ammo. lizzy warren, duval patrick, john kerry, easy ed markey, all make ted kennedy look like richard nixon. its a joke.

kb0nly
12-25-2013, 01:49 PM
And yet here in MN we can walk into Runnings, WalMart, even the local hardware stores and get bricks of .22 like there is no shortage or problems. My local Runnings Farm & Fleet still has a full shelf of .22 bricks, not that hard to get. They do limit you to five per purchase but you can walk out of the store and come back in for another five they don't care.

hatc200x1
12-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Yay for MN! All ive noticed is the price go way up. Not hard to get though.

Big Mike
12-25-2013, 04:18 PM
that's why whenever I see it, I buy it. I have bought 2000 rounds since the summer

tri again
12-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Like the first post, a guy was shopping for a 1022 and I pointed to the empty shelf and 5 other people shook their heads.
He got a .17 hmr instead because they had like 20 boxes of those.

kb0nly
12-25-2013, 09:44 PM
I don't plink with .22 much anymore here, being in town now. I used to a lot on the farm. Now i have a Ruger Air Hawk .177 Air Rifle... Don't laugh, i can take out rabbits, squirrels, birds, you name it just as well as a .22 and its nearly silent, aka town friendly. Not to mention if you wanted to you could get a .177 mold and as long as you have some lead you can cast your own with nothing more than a propane torch and a bucket of water.

Thorpe
12-25-2013, 09:53 PM
And yet here in MN we can walk into Runnings, WalMart, even the local hardware stores and get bricks of .22 like there is no shortage or problems. My local Runnings Farm & Fleet still has a full shelf of .22 bricks, not that hard to get. They do limit you to five per purchase but you can walk out of the store and come back in for another five they don't care.

You can keep your ethanol, but dang it, I am coming for a visit, and to load up on 22! Cant find it in the cities!

hoosierlogger
12-26-2013, 06:46 AM
I can cast my own bullets and reload .38 spl cheaper than you can buy .22 lr

czac
01-03-2014, 10:25 PM
tough to get in massachusetts. gotta travel north of the border into NH to get .22 rounds. be careful who you vote for. obama cant do a damn thing about the right to bear arms, but the constitution says nothing about ammo. lizzy warren, duval patrick, john kerry, easy ed markey, all make ted kennedy look like richard nixon. its a joke.

yep got a co worker whos up in NH and the last time i saw him he had a present for me....lol he says theres a ton of ammo up there... meanwhile its getting a bit easier to find here in ct now. I think that because of all the hoopla surrounding the Newton thing, everyone and their mothers went out and bought .22's, for what reason i dont know...lol

czac
01-03-2014, 10:30 PM
I score it at walmart, but it's hit or miss. Yes sometimes there is a line but it's worth it.

yeah, and just a few months ago, the local wallmarts had empty shelves and the only thing they had in was the random shot gun shells...lol the one gun our fearless Vice- D bag said to go buy. lol,lol,lol... looks like everyone went and took his advice because shot shell was the only thing in the cases for a loooong time!

kb0nly
01-04-2014, 02:06 AM
You can keep your ethanol, but dang it, I am coming for a visit, and to load up on 22! Cant find it in the cities!

Sorry but you have to buy five gallons of Ethanol with every purchase of ammo... LOL

I was in Runnings in Marshall MN on Weds, they had bricks of .22 on the shelves. I didn't stop to look at the price, but they were in stock. Now my local hardware store has plenty of shotgun shells but they are sold out of .22 for the last two weeks. But thats not surprising, this time of year the Raccoon and Rabbit hunters are quite active.

BOB MARLIN
01-04-2014, 09:27 AM
I am starting to be able to find 9mm pretty regular now. I have 4 .22's and can't find much at all for them, 2 of them need high velocity rounds witch I haven't seen in at least 2 years.

redsox
01-04-2014, 10:15 AM
it seems like 9mm has fallen out of fashion in the last few years. in the 90's everything was 9, 9, 9. now it seems no one shoots it. every store has 9mm available.

Poco Loco
01-05-2014, 11:31 PM
it seems like 9mm has fallen out of fashion in the last few years. in the 90's everything was 9, 9, 9. now it seems no one shoots it. every store has 9mm available. The 40 cal is the new go to caliber

MNhondaguy
01-06-2014, 02:09 AM
Yeah up here there's .40. No 9mm seen for ages. .223 is stocked it gone within a day or two. .22 is very uncommon, some 50 count boxes come in and one guy will buy em all. Then a few buckets of Remington 575 count and the guy that sees it calls his friends so they come get them. My buddy knows the sports dept. gal and she calls us when they getting an order. I have over 3000 rounds of .22 and I've only bought one bucket in the last 2 years. I have a couple friends that have over 50 guns and have purchased ammo at auctions back in high school so they got literally a pallet of bullets. They my apocalypse buddies, lol. They aren't hoarders or preppers just have a passion and endless pockets.

czac
01-06-2014, 08:54 AM
The 40 cal is the new go to caliber

Yeah I agree, I like the .40 much, much more than the 9MM.

My next Hand Gun will be a .40 A small one though.

Anyone here have an old Russian Mosin Nagant? lol I have one that I have had since I was a little kid, One of my uncles gave it too me. I put a new Boyds, Thumb hole Stock on it and made a bent bolt handle for use with a scope. Then I was toying with a barrel cover, A piece of 1" SS Tubing, It looks nice but I don't think it would stay put too long with the kick back of that thing! lo

Chopsaw
01-06-2014, 11:54 AM
I have a M44 Romanian Mosin Nagant . Is yours a 91/30 ? Mine is unissued all original . I've got some 230 gr ammo for it .
I have a XDM 9mm . Holds 20 with one in the chamber . My favorite is the 1911 .
I buy ammo online at ammunition to go . Good service and never had any trouble with this guy .

czac
01-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Yeah Chopsaw, its the 91/30... I got the Stock from Boyds, it fits great and is so much nicer than the original which was all cracked and beat up...lol I think the guy who had it before me got run over by a tank while hold it by the looks of the stock....lol The M44 are nice... smaller and more compact. id like to get one of the Pistols, they look pretty cool.

Here is the stock I put on it...
http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/i-xzCdfSt/0/M/i-xzCdfSt-M.jpg

Here it is as it sits now...
http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/i-kbztBxV/0/L/i-kbztBxV-L.jpg

3Razors
01-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Obama is the best gun/ammo salesman in US history!!

czac
01-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Obama is the best gun/ammo salesman in US history!!

Just for you... lol

http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/i-t6Q8FjN/0/L/i-t6Q8FjN-L.jpg

3Razors
01-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Well done Czac!! Wish every dead weight libtard could see it.

Chopsaw
01-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Czac , very nice . I like to leave mine stock , I have the basic WWll long guns . Garand , Mauser Enfield , Springfield ,,,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/chopsaw/M-44.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/chopsaw/media/M-44.jpg.html)