PDA

View Full Version : 1985 honda big red not coming out of reverse

oile
12-24-2013, 10:31 PM
ok so i bought this big red 2 weeks and the carb needed rebuilt gas tank cleaned up new plastic and seat. so today i got here fired and she sounds really good starts right up drove it around then i decided to try out reverse and it worked good also until i tried to get it back in netural and i cant get it out of reverse. so my question is has anybody had this trouble and what did you do to fix it.

dougspcs
12-24-2013, 10:40 PM
can you pull it from reverse if you shut off the engine??

if the idle is set too high it will be nearly impossible to pull from reverse due to the centrifugal clutch not disengaging.

if it won't come out of reverse even shut off you likely have a problem in the transmission..not good!

Howdy
12-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Do as Doug said and try putting it into netrual while shut off.
If that don't work then It is possible the shifting arm has broken or a bolt has broken / come lose.
It's not that bad of a fix you just need to remove the left side engine cover and check the shifting mechanisim.
Howdy

oile
12-24-2013, 10:54 PM
well ive tried to put it in netural when it is off no go ive also tried moving the 3 wheeler back forth while trying to back in neutral no go there also.

jeswinehart
12-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Remove the left side engine case and take a close look at part #18/19 area. I believe that is what Howdy was referring too,,, I had had the spring come undone, broken guide and a few other related "that area" problems over the years.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1985-honda-atc250es/o/m1902#sch9401

Howdy
12-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Remove the left side engine case and take a close look at part #18/19 area. I believe that is what Howdy was referring too,,, I had had the spring come undone, broken guide and a few other related "that area" problems over the years.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1985-honda-atc250es/o/m1902#sch9401

Yep John that and #8 bolt coming loose. I put a few arrows pointing towards the most common problem area's on these models.
#8 Comes loose or breaks
#18 Bends or breaks
#20 Breaks
#21 Comes loose or breaks.

Hope this Helps.
Howdy

oile
12-25-2013, 12:41 AM
thanks guys i appreciate it

tri again
12-25-2013, 02:43 AM
Just to review, on the 250 es / sx, neutral is all the way down with 5 up.
The we push the button, pull the left brake lever and step down gently to go backwards.
Then toe up to get back into neutral.
I have to rock all of mine to get them to come loose but my left leg is almost useless.

As the guys said, worst case is not that bad.
I did mine last summer as did a few other members so there are some great pictures posted.
My last one was the pin in the shift drum came loose and bent a couple thousandsths.
Couldn't see it until I put it in a drill and spun it, saw the wobble.
Just lay the trike dead level on it's side, side cover gasket and I think the pins are 15$. but I got the spring, bracket and both springs since I have a few of these machines.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Hopefully it just an external linkage, mud jammed against the cable/lever.

SN = If you do have to go in, plug the holes in the internal casing with something in case you drop any little parts.
There's a funky oval piece with tiny springs and little chicklets that may want to run away from home.
I fooled with that for an hour and then 'poof' it fell into place.