PDA

View Full Version : Any Furnace Service Techs In The House?

DasUberKraut
12-25-2013, 07:13 PM
So I need some guidance...

I was out of town. A couple hours away and woke up to some aggravating news. The guy that rents a room from me informed me my furnace quit working this morning. We'll, I'm back home now and I'm looking at this thing thinking it's just a pilot light. Well it's not. It has an electronic ignition instead. I don't know anything about these setups. I checked the fuse on the panel. It's good. The blower runs fine but the burners don't ignite.

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for? Any tests I can do with a multimeter? It's a Miller natural gas furnace.

Thank you in advance. Merry Christmas!

Jason125m
12-25-2013, 07:37 PM
If it an oil furnace? Check to make sure you have oil flow at the bleeder screw. Could also be the nozzle is plugged ( supposed to be replaced every few years )

Rider414
12-25-2013, 07:53 PM
My advice is to call a HVAC service tech. Most often people try to fix furnaces by replacing parts and end up spending more money and time than if they just called a company.

SHIFLITE
12-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Does the furnace have a little black box on the the front side of the furnace...If so it should also have an Led green light on the box , and also a little red reset button...This is the brian box for ignition , and a safety feature to lock the unit from running if there is a problem with flame ignition. You can try to reset the furnace by holding down the red button until the green led blinks and then let go...It will go into the reignition process...If the furnace doesn't fire up the ignition box is surely faulty, easy to replace just plug and play.

DasUberKraut
12-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Thank you everyone. I just figured it out.

There was a reset button. It was so small I overlooked it several times. About the size of a grain of rice. I'm guessing it tripped when the power went out last night.

John - I appreciate your private message. I got it after the time you said you were headed to bed and didn't want to disturb you.

Thank you again everyone! Merry Christmas to you and yours. :beer

jeswinehart
12-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Good job !

john

Thorpe
12-25-2013, 09:59 PM
If I would have seen this sooner, you could have called me too... (I find its usually the stupid things) Had a guy call me over one time, furnace isnt working... Look at it for 2 seconds, no tools, and can tell it doesnt have any power... Go to his breaker box, breaker is live, but no power... Look at the large hoard of trim wood he has piled in front of his breaker panel, and notice his generator panel, a piece of trim had knocked a breaker into the off position... OOPS... Lucky for him, I call him "Dad" so it didnt cost him anything!

atc007
12-25-2013, 10:28 PM
2 of the best there are right above ^^^ :)

DasUberKraut
12-26-2013, 11:33 AM
The only thing that upsets me is my vacation was cut short by 3 or 4 days. I'm trying to figure out why every time I leave town. My power goes out too. I think this guy living in my house isn't very honest about his actions. :wondering

On the plus side... I can put this 200X carb on my Auto-X. It came Tuesday as I was headed out of town.
Hopefully I can fix this annoying high idle issue and finally ride! Carb that belongs with that ATC200 motor won't adjust at all.

atc007
12-26-2013, 02:25 PM
A renter who's not honest??????? Well, I'll be !

Dirtcrasher
12-26-2013, 06:39 PM
If your not terrified of a little wiring,gas,oil and have some brains; I do SUGGEST tinkering with them. I have 1200 manufactured homes that all use a Coleman Up Blow furnace. These have 6 or more things that need to satisfy on a call for heat or cooling, all 24V except the door switch (which is never to be overlooked) which is 120V. One issue they have is every time the lights even flicker, the cycle stops. And if your in the heating mode, the reason the blower fans (that loves to eat fingers up) continues to run is to cool things down a bit. Interrupt or stop that cycle and a manual hi-limit will pop. If the fan can't run, it cannot cool down. I ask 25$ for this reset because it is my time and school was 18K. Any other shop gets near 200$ minimum to drive over, push a switch and write you a bill.

I don't call anyone unless I am lost and or it can kill me. I'm still running my boiler without the power vent because it's too cold to fix it. Run up 10' of pipe with a cap and there is plenty of draft with no carbon monoxide danger...

tri again
12-27-2013, 04:25 AM
My last natural gas heater problem was a faulty igniter.
It's supposed to glow to ignite but had infinite resistance.
ez fix.
Glad you found the problem.

Oh, I had another that wouldn't stop heating.
The repair guy said it has a secondary shut off if the airbox gets too hot.
Brand new prof installed furnace.
That airbox switch is set to kill it at some stupid temperature, like over 200 so the whole house smelled like toasted dust.
Come to think of it, that one may have been a bad 12 dollar thermostat that shorted out to full ON.

The ratbas&%%$#wanted to charge me 300 bucks to replace the new thermostat that was less than a month old.
That furnace cost me a couple grand..hmmm.
I think thier company name is going to anfie's list.

DasUberKraut
12-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Toasted dust is a horrible smell. I always get that when I forget to dust off my Mr. Heater Big Buddy the first time I fire it up for the year in the ice shack or shop. Good times!

Scootertrash
12-27-2013, 10:08 PM
I don't call anyone unless it can kill me.

FIFY Dirt. Everyone knows men don't get lost........;)

DasUberKraut
12-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Hey Scooter. When you going to start selling your ski kits?

Blown 331
12-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Sounds like you got it, thats exactly what I was going to suggest. Had the same thing happen to me twice!