PDA

View Full Version : yamaha 225 DX winter project almost finished !

yameeha225dx
12-27-2013, 10:18 AM
hey guys, thought I would post some pics of my resto......should be finished this weekend !....complete teardown, TONS of NEW PARTS $$$$, everything cleaned , sandblasted, painted or powdercoated, all NEW...clutches, bushings, bearings, tires & wheels, cables, carb, brakes,....waaaaay too much to list,....designed and made my own graphics (I have a small graphics business).....was trying to achieve the look of a NEW TRIKE as if they were STILL being made, ......heres a few pics of my progress.......the first is the bike as it was when I bought it....just have to finish bolting down plastics, mount headlight, and bolt on clutch cover, then she's ready to fire

dougspcs
12-27-2013, 11:48 AM
That is the best looking 225DX I've ever seen..

Damn fine work son!!

..now that being said a word about the those tires you've installed. Duro's...??

It's like looking at the hottest woman you've ever seen then she smiles at you and theres a gap between her front teeth you could park a Buick in! Ouch!!

But seriously, I know I already said it..WOW

:drool:

muthey
12-27-2013, 04:09 PM
beautiful, I love the graphics you designed. I am seriously interested in a green set of them sometime. I know you put alot of money into that trike I hope she is everything you want her to be.

yameeha225dx
12-28-2013, 08:31 AM
THANX for the nice comments !.......just started it up for the first time !.....bike is running GREAT ,.....only problem is, the bike WILL NOT start with the ELECTRIC START ???........it starts up with one pull of cord though!........it was doing this before the teardown also,......... I replaced the starter, battery, cleaned all contacts and wiring, and also replaced the ignition source coil (lighting coil)in the stator,...STILL NOTHING.....its got spark with electric start, but WILL NOT FIRE???.......any advise is greatly appreciated

Ghostv2
12-28-2013, 01:33 PM
I had the same problem with my 225dx. Others have here too.
But you should start making some graphics for trikes and make some $$$$$. They look awesome. Even if you just keep copying them. Unless you want it to be a 1-off machine.

honda atc guy
12-28-2013, 01:47 PM
I've gotta say, that black and blue color scheme looks AWESOME!

muthey
12-28-2013, 01:53 PM
what my e-start issue is there is damage on the alternator part of the stator assembly. check your magnets for damage, I have a spare for mine just haven't changed it yet to see if it fixes the issue, the only reason I can figure the pull start works when electric won't is that you have a faster pull than the electric, which is slower and creates a weaker spark. For awhile during the summer months, when I get the motor nice and hot the electric works for a few min after I shut it off because of a pre detonation scenario.

czac
12-28-2013, 09:15 PM
THANX for the nice comments !.......just started it up for the first time !.....bike is running GREAT ,.....only problem is, the bike WILL NOT start with the ELECTRIC START ???........it starts up with one pull of cord though!........it was doing this before the teardown also,......... I replaced the starter, battery, cleaned all contacts and wiring, and also replaced the ignition source coil (lighting coil)in the stator,...STILL NOTHING.....its got spark with electric start, but WILL NOT FIRE???.......any advise is greatly appreciated

check the on/off switch on the handlebar... mine wouldnt start but would turn over... and it started right up with the pull start... I replaced the whole switch set up and it worked like a charm. that said, that is one seriously sweet looking trike...makes me wanna throw mine into the river and go buy a new quad! lol great graphics BTW, you did an awesome job on this beauty!

yameeha225dx
12-29-2013, 10:40 AM
LOL ! THANX czac !......but DONT throw it in the river !....I'LL TAKE IT and restore it !!!:lol:......went out and tried it again with electric start AFTER breaking in engine , and....... SUCCESS !!! starts right up now with a push of the button :D, ...maybe motor was a little too tight before breakin for electric start to work properly ??......but she's fine now.,....for others having this problem, it COULD BE your ignition SOURCE COIL, before the re-build my bike WOULD NOT START with button, and I replaced this coil during build (spoke to RM STATOR on ebay and they felt this was my problem)....so I ordered this from them for 25.00.... BTW,... they said don't EVER try to start the bike with a BATTERY CHARGER !.....this is how I burnt my coil out...... THANX everyone for the comments on my graphics !, I LOVE coming up with graphics that are different, but yet look like they could have come from the factory....I could re-produce these for a 225 DX and change the color scheme for different color plastics,... these graphics are almost 6 mm thick with the laminate !, the problem is , to produce graphics for OTHER machines , I would need PRECISE measurements and photos to lay them out on my computer.....well, THIS project is DONE !, now i'm already bored and have to find ANOTHER.......heres a couple pics of finished machine.........................183123183124183125 183126

Rider414
12-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Wow that does look fantastic!

yameeha225dx
12-29-2013, 09:15 PM
183141made myself a new desktop wallpaper..........what do you think ?:naughty:

czac
12-30-2013, 08:30 AM
183141made myself a new desktop wallpaper..........what do you think ?:naughty:

if it were me, Id put her in front of the trike, That's like I said, if it were me of course....lol,lol,lol... Seriously, it looks good!

So, you painted the plastics? Whats your take on that... will it chip and crack and peel off ya think? Ever see those decal sets on Ebay that cover the whole fenders? its like one big sticker for the whole trike? I wonder how those hold up over time? the decals I put on my trike were thick, a lot thicker than the originals were... I just need to get some matching stickers for my rear fenders. I thought of taping them off and air brushing them on but its a lot of work that frankly, I do not have the patience for. lol I did flames on a wooden Snare drum I made once, (In a past life...lol) it looked great but it was a lot of work. lol

http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/Other/Stuff/i-dtdCLrW/0/L/flaming%20snare-L.jpg

JasonB
12-30-2013, 10:45 AM
great job, it came out really nice looking! Now go get it muddy lol

DohcBikes
12-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Absolutely phenomenal.

I'm with dougspcs on the Duros, they just don't do your work justice.

Hands down this one of the coolest restomods I've ever seen. Excellent work sir!!

Jason125m
12-30-2013, 01:04 PM
I am not a Yamaha fan by any means. But this 225 Is SWEET. By far the nicest 225 i've ever seen.

You did a great job. It means so much more when you build it yourself.

If that were mine I would be proud. Beautiful machine.

afdfirefighter
12-30-2013, 01:29 PM
hey guys, thought I would post some pics of my resto......should be finished this weekend !....complete teardown, TONS of NEW PARTS $$$$, everything cleaned , sandblasted, painted or powdercoated, all NEW...clutches, bushings, bearings, tires & wheels, cables, carb, brakes,....waaaaay too much to list,....designed and made my own graphics (I have a small graphics business).....was trying to achieve the look of a NEW TRIKE as if they were STILL being made, ......heres a few pics of my progress.......the first is the bike as it was when I bought it....just have to finish bolting down plastics, mount headlight, and bolt on clutch cover, then she's ready to fire

Very nice work. Any idea how many hours you have in it? I am just curious. Also, ever tried replicating old decals? I'd be interested in some if they turn out well and you do that...

yameeha225dx
12-30-2013, 09:17 PM
THANX guys,......really appreciate the comments!, it was a fun project., I get alot of pleasure bringing an old machine back from the dead !,....I bought a couple atc's new back in the 80's, and always said SOME DAY i'll get another, but living on long island, these machines don't pop up often , and theres NO PLACE to ride here legally !!!, the only time you can ride around here is during a blizzard, and if your LUCKY, the cops wont bother you and impound your bike ! (REALLY SUCKS !), so I bought this one simply as a project to take my mind off the day to day BS !.............czac, ...NICE JOB on the drum !., to answer your question about the paint and FULL WRAPS you see on ebay,...first off, paint WILL chip and scratch, but sometimes, we don't have a choice as these parts ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE,and almost impossible to find in mint condition.... theres NO WAY I would put that much work into a machine, and put beat up scuffed , scratched or cracked plastics on it .......I had to strip all the old paint off my plastic.......I used specialty SEM aerosols on the bike,.(I spent around 200.00 in paint supplies from my local auto body supply).. first an adhesion promoter on the bare plastic, then primer,...color coat,..then clear coat, all these have a flex additive and are made for plastic....I didn't go the whole nine yards with color sanding, buffing etc.etc......I just wanted the bike to look fresh and clean, and the graphics put a nice finishing touch on it,...it doesn't have that NEW CAR finish, but after all, its an ATC :)........the wrap style graphics are cool, but should be installed by a professional,.... anytime your installing vinyl on compound curves, it can be very frustrating and difficult to apply these without getting wrinkles......................all right guys, WHATS NEXT ????........i'm thinking TECATE, TRI Z, or maybe...............250 R ???????????????????:wondering:wondering:D

yameeha225dx
12-30-2013, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=afdfirefighter;1274923]Very nice work. Any idea how many hours you have in it? I am just curious. Also, ever tried replicating old decals? I'd be interested in some if they turn out well and you do that...[/QUOTE
hello, and THANX for the nice comment,......I never actually calculated the hours, but I started working on it the beginning of November and just finished it this week, I worked on it a little almost every day or night,.....as far as the graphics, I cannot LEGALLY replicate and sell factory graphics without getting nailed for trademark violations......its already happened to me, and its just not worth the hassle, so I just do my own thing :D

DohcBikes
12-30-2013, 09:40 PM
WHATS NEXT ????........i'm thinking TECATE, TRI Z, or maybe...............250 R ?

After seeing this build, my vote is yes, yes, and yes.

muthey
12-30-2013, 11:38 PM
not to be bias or anything but I would love to see the graphics you come up with for a tri-z lol as I have one of them as well.

DohcBikes
05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Bump for those that missed it... This build inspired me, and Dave is a great guy.

Latty
05-08-2016, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the bump, I was not a member when this was originally posted and it's definitely inspiring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350for350
05-08-2016, 09:18 PM
So did he ever decide whether or not to sell those graphics?

DohcBikes
05-08-2016, 09:47 PM
He sure did.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188829&d=1394414283

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188831&d=1394414313