PDA

View Full Version : ATC 90 1978 Trying to get running!!

ATC90JAY
12-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Hi! This site has been so great!!! The problem I have is when I get my trike started it doesn't want to idle without the choke on...I replaced the carb and still the same problem and then it will rev hi..I did notice that the throttle cable is very tight so I have a new one that I'm going to put on. I also changed the spark plug..any thoughts on this?? Thanks, Jay

kb0nly
12-28-2013, 12:42 PM
If it won't idle without the choke on and you already replaced the carb i would bet air leak. The intake the carb bolts to has an insulator, the brown thing between carb and the intake, there is a gasket there, also there is a gasket between the intake and the head. If you disturbed those gaskets but didn't replace them then you likely have an air leak, which requires you to turn the choke on to limit the air through the carb and increase the amount of fuel to richen the mixture. When you take the choke off its going to lean out and rev up.

Been there done that on a few!

ATC90JAY
12-28-2013, 01:01 PM
When I put the carb back on there was a gasket where the intake and head meet but no gasket from carb to manifold pipe. The gasket on the head looked good...I'll have to order a gasket off eBay..you think the Honda store would have one? Also could that tight throttle cable add to the problem? Thanks!

ATC90JAY
12-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Are the manifold gasket and the carb gasket the same?? and then there is a rubber ring as well?

kb0nly
12-28-2013, 11:18 PM
On the head side of the intake there is just a paper gasket, on the carb end there is a paper gasket, then the insulator, then the carb. The Carb has an o-ring on the front of it that seals it to the insulator.

If the throttle cable was holding the slide open it would just rev up though. You can try disconnecting the throttle cable from the slide and then drop the slide back in the carb along with the spring and put the cap on, essentially holding the slide in the down fully closed position. That will rule out a cable problem, fire it up again and see what it does.

Did you try adjusting the carb at all?