PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Yamaha YTM200E electrical problems

purplemotoman
12-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Hey everyone. I am having an electrical problem. My battery seems to be draining when the bike is sitting over night. I put the voltage meter on it today and sitting with nothing turned on I can watch the voltage drop. Anyone had this issue and if so any answers on how to fix it other then disconnecting the battery every time I am done using it.
Thanks in advance.

El Camexican
12-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Have you done a test to see if the battery will hold a charge overnight if it is disconnected?

purplemotoman
12-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Yes it does hold a charge when disconnected but it is a pain in the ass to have to keep disconnecting it every time I am done using it

muthey
12-30-2013, 08:41 AM
the leading cause of battery drains in automotive is starter solenoids. time to start checking connections, and switches for corrosion make sure each part you clean you put dielectric grease in there to help prevent corrosion.

purplemotoman
12-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Ok thanx. I will give it a go over to see what I find.

afdfirefighter
12-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Worst case scenario you could put a switch inline from the battery positive before the entire electrical system. This is what all fire trucks have, so before we start one we have to reach under the seat and turn the battery switch on to start the truck. Could be an intermediate fix...

purplemotoman
01-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Yea thanks. For now I put an inline switch in. What a big difference.