PDA

View Full Version : Front fork rubber boot shielding

Myhairychin
12-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Would you leave your rubber boot shielding on you front forks? I see trikes with and with out, ive also seen the damage they can cause when water and condensation get stuck inside... what's your take on it?

kazander
12-30-2013, 05:37 PM
always put your rubber on

ScreaminRed
12-30-2013, 05:50 PM
It mostly depends on what type of riding your doing. Remember, they did come installed from the factory. I think most people do it for a change of look also. Totally up to you...:)

EEHonda
12-30-2013, 07:53 PM
As long as the outer fork seal is good you will be fine. I prefer the boot look myself.

Myhairychin
12-31-2013, 02:46 AM
My 350x has new boots , im going to keep them on. I was curious what the community on heres thoughts are on it? I see the benefits and the side affects the can have....

czac
12-31-2013, 08:06 AM
some have vents on them... the Yamahas had hoses coming off them to vent any air or moisture out of them. when I took mine off, there was no rust inside but there was rust around where the metal clamp that held it on was... that being said, the trike is an 85 so for the last 28 years they seemed to work fine... shoot the rust on the forks above the fork boots was a lot worse so if your gonna keep your trike for the next 20 years or so, loosen the clamps every year or so and apply a little was or rub the tube down with an oily rag... it should be fine. I do that with the cast iron surfaces of my wood shop machines, it works great.

Myhairychin
12-31-2013, 04:48 PM
some have vents on them... the Yamahas had hoses coming off them to vent any air or moisture out of them. when I took mine off, there was no rust inside but there was rust around where the metal clamp that held it on was... that being said, the trike is an 85 so for the last 28 years they seemed to work fine... shoot the rust on the forks above the fork boots was a lot worse so if your gonna keep your trike for the next 20 years or so, loosen the clamps every year or so and apply a little was or rub the tube down with an oily rag... it should be fine. I do that with the cast iron surfaces of my wood shop machines, it works great.

Thats a great idea, ill do that...

tri again
12-31-2013, 06:42 PM
good post.
Not sure what to do except I blow out my ripped boots after water or ocean dune (SALT) runs and spray a little fogging oil on the tubes and blow it around with compressed air.
I should change the boots but I need like 5 sets and the time to do them.
Guess they're either not easy to find or 40 bucks a set.

ScreaminRed
12-31-2013, 06:52 PM
good post.
Not sure what to do except I blow out my ripped boots after water or ocean dune (SALT) runs and spray a little fogging oil on the tubes and blow it around with compressed air.
I should change the boots but I need like 5 sets and the time to do them.
Guess they're either not easy to find or 40 bucks a set.

Oldskool83 sells them in the 3ww shop for just over $23, I think. I just bought a set for my '85. :)

tri again
12-31-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks screamin'.
I'm sure he did his homework.
I've heard any off road shop should have something but for the time it takes to get the wrong ones, I'll try a set of his for sure.
Cheaper than gas to go buy some locally.
What did you put them on and how long did it take?
I wear 2 back braces and I'll probably hang the front of the trike from tree branch,
my favorite milk crate and go at it.
I DO wonder about condensation although after 25 years, it doesn't seem to hurt them.
I believe they have vent holes so that they can breathe if we cycle the front suspension.

ScreaminRed
12-31-2013, 08:09 PM
I didn't install them yet, but I know you have to remove the forks to do it as they slide over. I'm re-doing my '85 350x and just stocking parts, so I have them when I'm ready to install. Lol. I dont think u need to hang it from a tree! Two milk crates, one for u to sit on and one for the trike! :)

Jason125m
01-01-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't see why you wouldn't use fork boots. Its pretty obvious to tell that dirt rubbing on your dust seal will eventually cause a failure that will work its way down to the fork seals. Fork boots will keep the moisture out 100%. I pop them out of the groove on the fork every once in a while to look; clean as a whistle!

El Camexican
01-01-2014, 02:47 PM
My 30 year old trike spent its life without protectors and the only place the original shafts had rust was where they were clamped in the tree. However one was bent, so I bought a complete set on eBay still in the tree. They came with the factory gators on them and they were rusted pretty good.

If (big if) I lived where there was always mud and water on the trails I think I’d leave them off, but anywhere that the forks could get pelted with sand and rocks I’d run them.

For anyone who has inverted forks there are neoprene protectors called Shock Socks that come with Velcro straps. You run them all the time and then take them off and throw them in the wash machine when the ride is over. No rust and no leaks (knock on wood) 4 years and counting. http://www.shocksox.com/