PDA

View Full Version : Kawaski KLT 185

mellgren123
01-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Hello,

New to posting long time viewer.

I recently picked up a KLT 185 for $75 from a buddy, might sound like a good deal but lots needs to be done first. Before I get into fixing anything I want to make sure it runs, I checked the spark which is strong. Next step was what I was hoping was a carb clean and go, I will def. need a carb rebuild. Anyone have any idea where to pickup a rebuild kit on-line. I checked the basics ebay, amazon, etc.... with no luck.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

DohcBikes
01-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Welcome and Congratulations on the trike!!
I'm sure someone here can show you the way to the klt parts that you need.
Just out of curiosity, are you missing any carb parts? How did you determine that you need a rebuild kit?

ebaccm26
01-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Welcome to the forum, nice find with the KLT. Unfortunately you are out of luck, no one makes a carb rebuild kit so the few pieces that you can still find from Kawasaki is whatcha get. If you need parts later on chances are I might have what you need so send me a PM if you need anything. I see your location says Iron Mountain, is that Iron Mountain, Michigan by any chance? Also post up some pics!

mellgren123
01-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the responses, I spent a lot of time looking prior to posting because honestly with something so simple I didn't want to ask.

DohcBikes- Not missing any carb parts they are just caked in residue I would assume left from gas (white flakes everywhere). I have several Honda ATC's and have never had
issues finding rebuild parts so I figured I would just order up a kit. My main issue now is getting the choke cable out of the carb, i was able to unscrew the plastic threaded peice that holds it in but can't seem to pull out the cable. As you can imagine it is difficult to clean the carb when it is attached to the trike, especially since its in the below zeroes lately and and my garage has no heat.

ebaccm- As you can probably assume from my response to DohcBikes yes I am from Iron Mountain MI. Not exactly ideal wheeling weather but was able to take out the hondas
last weekend and even though i couldn't feel my hands or face had a blast.

ebaccm26
01-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Yeah those choke cables like to get stuck in these carbs, you are probably going to have to remove the choke cable from the bike so you can get the carb off. Then you can possibly try boiling the carb, or maybe you can just have more luck getting the cable out when the carb is off the bike and you can have more space to work at it. And yes with these bikes you often are going to have to ask just because they are not as common as many of the Honda's and it can be a little harder to find info online.

Glad to hear you had some fun in the snow, I just had my KLT 185 out for a ride the other night and had a blast. Make sure to post some pics of all your 3 wheelers!

On a side note I am also in Michigan, not really anywhere near you, but if you are ever interested in selling your KLT 185 please let me know. Just always have to throw that out there :)

mellgren123
01-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info, what do you boil the carb in?

Probaly not interested in selling quite yet, my plan at this point is to get it running and sell to buy another Honda. Do you have any hondas you would trade?

DohcBikes
01-03-2014, 06:48 PM
One of the best features on this site is the search function. There are many, many informative threads on carb cleaning. If you want an extremely detailed, and I mean extremely lol, how-to on cleaning a KLT carb, you might try to PM barnett468.

Edit: I apologize, I didn't read the stuck choke cable part.

ebaccm26
01-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the info, what do you boil the carb in?

Probaly not interested in selling quite yet, my plan at this point is to get it running and sell to buy another Honda. Do you have any hondas you would trade?

You just boil it in water, really the only safe way to clean it while the carb is together. Carb cleaner could eat at the float and the brass fittings and you don't want to risk that since you will not be able to find replacement parts.... I think there might be some safer cleaners out there if you want to go that route but I am not familiar with them.

I do not have any Honda's right now but I buy and sell a lot of them so maybe I will by the time you want to sell. Since you are planning on selling it later on definitely let me know when that time comes, you ever get down to the LP?

mellgren123
01-03-2014, 08:38 PM
I don't get don't get down there too often but am willing make the trip for the right trade. Thanks for the info I will keep you posted on the progress.

briano
01-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Hello Yoooer neighbor. I'm on the north end of M95 from you in Humboldt.

mellgren123
01-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Briano--- Great to see a fellow yooper on here

mellgren123
01-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Briano--- Great to see a fellow yooper on here