PDA

View Full Version : White smoke out of exhaust?

Ytm_225dx
01-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Ok well I know I've had a lot of questions so far but here's another
I'm blowing white smoke out of the exhaust but it's not continuous when I'm riding but does it for a spurt goes away then it'll do it again with a lot of white smoke like I said it's on and off but does every time is this valve seats or piston rings

tri again
01-04-2014, 01:33 PM
wow
I was hoping it was moisture in the exhaust.
Actually still could be.
Does it seem to be engine temperature related? or just wenver it wants?
Runs good? or does it sputter when it smokes?

I'd try the search key for 'white smoke' to get tons of posts all at once.

PLEASE let us know what you figure out.

OOps!
What machine is it?
watercooled?

Ytm_225dx
01-04-2014, 02:59 PM
It's a 225 dx ytm and yes it sputters when it smokes but it does run good no knocks or major tick I don't think and the engine doesn't seem to be getting to hot and I jus did a new filter and oil change to factory specs

muthey
01-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Also take a moment to go through your carb and fuel checking for water and or a lean running condition.

DohcBikes
01-04-2014, 04:23 PM
+1 on possible water in the gas.

Ytm_225dx
01-04-2014, 04:29 PM
No it's fresh gas when filled and tank was empty

DohcBikes
01-04-2014, 06:17 PM
If you have access to a compression gauge and/or a leak down tester those results will give you some good info on how the piston/rings and valve train are performing.

Ytm_225dx
01-04-2014, 07:00 PM
I might be able to get a one and what exactly do the test for each valve duration and ring compression? But also I haven't checked the carb yet will do tomorrow and go from there

DohcBikes
01-04-2014, 07:34 PM
The compression test is super easy if you have a properly functioning gauge.
Shut the fuel off.
If you have a kill switch, switch the ignition off.
Take the spark plug out. Put the wire somewhere that it won't arc, in case it does happen to.
Screw in the gauge, make sure you have the correct adapter for your model, compare it to your spark plug.
Make sure the choke is OPEN or OFF.
Open the throttle all the way, hold it open during the entire test so we can get an accurate reading.
Depending on your model kick, pull, or crank the engine, until you are satisfied that the reading is not going any higher. On an e-start engine it usually takes around four+ seconds or so to get a max reading, on some kick bikes it takes a bit of kicking.

Now get out your factory service manual, you do have one right.... and compare the readings to the acceptable range and service limit for your model.

A leak down test is a bit more complicated, but will give you more info. I recommend doing some research on how to perform the test, and how to read the results to tell you what is happening. Often times your factory service manual will take you step by step through each procedure, and tell you how to interpret the results.

Keep us posted!

tri again
01-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Gas water etc.
Sure doesn't take much but anyway, water usually forms a glob it the very lowest
part of the can, tank, carb etc.
If it has a carb drain, you could just try the float bowl drain screw.
HEET is cheap and supposedly binds the water with a superevaporative alcohol and allow moisture to be 'burned'.
I use it to finish off gas tanks after cleaning them.
EZ to see if you put a few drops of water in an ounce or so of gas in a glass.

I've had a few machines that sat a long time and had sopping wet muffler packing.
Rings usually smoke blue, like oil, but water in the muffler can take forever (hours and hours) to heat up and evaporate...wishful thinking.
Did you try the search key?
I might just try it 'cause I get obsessed easily.

DohcBikes
01-04-2014, 08:02 PM
"White smoke" and sputtering does sound like a water issue, but lotsa people, including myself, fall into the "wishful thinking" category as well, and suddenly its hard to tell "white smoke" from "blue smoke" lol.

It never hurts to do the tests. They are cheap, easy, often overlooked for some odd reason, and will let you know more about the condition of your engine, one way or another.

I hope its water too.

tri again
01-04-2014, 09:34 PM
I've had properly rebuilt engine continue to smoke...from the oil residue
in mufflers from the old engine.
Especially turbo engine with blown waste gate seals.

x2, blue smoke can look white to me.
What's it smell like?
A fresh summer breeze after a rain? or steam shower?

kebby28
01-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Also, you will get good results on here if you take the extra minute on writing your post. Nobody likes to read an ongoing sentence. Use commas, and periods. Then it will make more sense. :) Good luck

DohcBikes
01-04-2014, 09:52 PM
I've had properly rebuilt engine continue to smoke...from the oil residue
in mufflers from the old engine.

Haha this exact thing happened to me less than a month ago.... I was freakin out til I swapped exausts, thought I lost my mojo lol!

barnett468
01-04-2014, 10:08 PM
if it is water and not oil it will dissipate [disappear] very quickly.

if it is oil it will linger and smoke up the neighborhood.

tri again
01-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Also, you will get good results on here if you take the extra minute on writing your post. Nobody likes to read an ongoing sentence. Use commas, and periods. Then it will make more sense. :) Good luck

I just tried to read it again. Made more sense the first time.

Ytm_225dx
01-04-2014, 11:07 PM
No I do not have the factory Manuel I jus got the bike for cheap and wanna make a nice rider. Also it does look like it has been in some mud. So I'll go through tomorrow and check the carb and all that cuz also I'm gonna switch out clutchs cuz they slip too. But I'll try and let everyone know what I come up with. And I hope it is water that would be awesome but like I said I jus got it from my bro in law and he didn't only but put around the yard with it so I'll tell every one what I find out. But any valve issues maybe I feel that could be an easy fix. Also the smoke goes away fairly quick but if I look back I can see a trail first

muthey
01-04-2014, 11:09 PM
have you checked the oil to see if it is creamed, or checked the air filter to see if it is water soaked? Lots of little things to double check on.

tri again
01-05-2014, 05:21 AM
Hey again,
try clicking on:
service manual

It should get you some good info.

If the smoke goes away, most would bet on valve seals, if it has them, or guides.

Yes, please, let us know what you find.
Word of caution: yer gonna get hooked and wind upo with a garage full of trikes.
I'd adjust the clutch and ride it for a while unless it's real bad.

Tons of fun if you've got snow to take advantage of.

Ytm_225dx
01-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Well I think I'll start tear down today here in a bit, but I will check the air filter the carb and all the other things cause I do wanna ride it in the snow ha. And the clutch slips real bad so I'm jus gonna swap it out

DohcBikes
01-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Post pics please... I'm a sucker for a dissassembled engine pics!!

Ytm_225dx
01-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Ok I'll try to figure how to do that lol I haven't figured it out yet

DohcBikes
01-05-2014, 02:05 PM
you figured it out :w00t:

Ytm_225dx
01-05-2014, 02:24 PM
This the part I'm putting in this is off a ytm 200[ATTACH=CONFIG]183682[/ATTACH

Ytm_225dx
01-05-2014, 10:07 PM

DohcBikes
01-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Looks like youre making some progress! The key is to be persistent... theres only so many parts to a trike right! Maybe post some captions so we know what yer doin, and I like to save up a few or five pics and post em all at once to save time!

Ytm_225dx
01-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Hey guys sorry I haven't reported anything it's been like -15 here so it's a little cold to be in the garage to work on it but it should be done here in a few days