PDA

View Full Version : Need a Wiring diagram for a YFM 225 250 or 350? Doing a regulator swap

eBoyDog
01-04-2014, 05:45 PM
I picked up a regulater/rectifier that came off a YFM 225, 250 or 350 (they are all the same) and im going to try to make it work for my YTM200EK, does anyone know were I can get a wiring diagram for that series of YFM's ?

Im not sure if it will work but its new, and I picked it up for free so I can't complain. Only catch might be is if the stator on the yfm's are two phase. Not sure if it will work but it better than the last three used ytm regulators I got that dont work.

Thank you!

MonroeMike
01-05-2014, 11:33 PM

eBoyDog
01-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks! I got my regulator swap done, I will post some pics later. The YFM's regulator/rectififer is much bigger and has 3 wire for the stator instead of 2 which I just used 2 of them and left the third unhooked, it also has a 2nd 12+ volt output which I left unhooked too which could be used later if I add something that needs more current draw.

Hopefully the larger sized heatsink will help dissipate the heat better and keep it from failing. As a useful note for others, In my research about atv and cycle regulators I found that the biggest two reason for regulators/rectifiers to fail is running with a dead battery and jump starting your engine with cars (with their engines running) as the current can be so much higher than the system was designed to handle.

Also, with some people converting their atvs to LED lighting, this too can create problems as the regulators are designed to have a higher current draw and by replacing standard lights with the newer LED lights, you might be doing more harm in the long run.

My next project will be to upgrade my ytm200 stator to a higher output so I can add a few things like a electric winch as I use my 3 wheeler for farmwork and hunting activities. Having a winch and extra lighting would be very useful, th orginal stator doesn't put out enough current to support anything more than the ignition, starter, headlight and tailight.