PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha YT125 performance build, performance yt175 exhaust needed!

fishertricar
01-05-2014, 12:06 AM
Hello guys, Im restoring my yamaha yt125, its bored and has a 175cc piston in it, Can anyone please give me measurements of a yt175 Bassani and/or PKW performance pipes to replicate them? some pictures found here: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/121352-Yamaha-YT-175-aftermarket-2-stroke-exhaust ; also Ive read somewhere that bassani pipes are better than pkw.. what do you think?

Ethan1
01-05-2014, 08:05 PM
i made my own exhaust useing a chop saw and a 230amp mig welder and a grinder. I started with a 84 KX 80 pipe. My oringinal exhaust was broke where the header goes into the the expansion chamber , I cut that back 3 inches and straightened out the bike exhaust and scraped the first 10inches of it. I got lazy and put a hole on my junk fenders , behind my right foot , so the pipe sort of fits under the plastic. Also those are my final specs , there were several experimental ones. The first one had a really low power band , witch was fun on the trails but it didn't rev high enough for me so I kept making it shorted until I could make it scream , lots more fun now .
If you have bored it out to 175 , have you considered puting a 30 or 32mm carb on it? I used the KX 80 carb and boot , you and just stretch the boot enough to fit the yamaha reed cage .

fishertricar
01-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Hello Ethan,

Thanks for your reply, Is your trike a 125 or 175? how much power difference do you feel comparing to the stock pipe? ..and the carb?
If I cant find out how to replicate the bassani pipe, or how to make a custom one with the proper calculations, I would like to fit a yz80 pipe or a DT175.. so it may look like the atc250r (kind of)

About my yt125:
I tried to find a it or dt175 jug but could find it where I live, so I changed the skirt and put a yt175 piston in it, dt175 carb (cant remember if its 26 o 28mm), dt175 reed boot, stock reed valve. Cant tell how much difference it made because I still have to brake in the engine but it pulls harder at low rpm :cool:

Ethan1
01-07-2014, 09:09 AM
When I bought the trike the carb and piston were junk so i never ran the stock carb long enough to tell. I feel the pipe alot because I tuned my pipe for high rpms. I want to get either a IT125, IT175, IT200 or blaster top end because the transfer ports suck in the yt125 and 175 and its hard to get a die grinder to those ports.
Also when you make your pipe don't get it in the way of the air flow to the jug and head , look at how they route a blaster pipe to get air to the engine.
Yesterday I pulled my top end apart and im trying some piston mods.

fishertricar
01-10-2014, 10:46 AM
You are right, it will not be possible to fit a pipe like that. I still need a pipe like the DG or pkw so my engine will not overheat, my goal is a nice trail power band to keep the automatic clutch

fishertricar
01-26-2014, 09:01 PM
anyone else out there???

Trevor58
02-11-2017, 04:51 AM
I've heard of a guy cutting down the sleeve where transfer ports are and I'm curious about it myself anyone ever heard about this

fishertricar
03-01-2017, 09:29 PM
changing the sleeve (were i live) is not expensive, thats why i did that and it was many years ago,
today you can find the sleeve or entire dt175 cylinder kit for $90 a used it175 from ebay, it175 has much better ports