PDA

View Full Version : New Member getting back on 3

Blue Viffer
01-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Ok here's my story. I am a Honda Automobile Mechanic. I got into 3 wheelers in 1983, the guys I worked with were going to Pismo every month and invited me one trip. I was put on a 185s with a group going for a ride on Friday night after we got our camp site set up. Did well that first ride only dumped it twice trying to keep up with the other bikes (6 250r's) while upshifting while trying to down shift. The group I rode with would always have an experienced rider at the back to help anyone that fell or got lost.
After digging the big fish hook out of my throat I was at the Dealer on Monday and bought a 83 200x. I had figured it would be my wife's bike and after a learning process I would get a 250r. The next week we had our own truck and camper. The following we had a trailer to tow the bike on. About 4 months or 4 trips to Pismo later I got the 250r. Picked up a 300 kit and sent it to Curtis Sparks for some play porting. Decided to ride the 250 as it was for a couple of trips. What a mistake. It was so pipy that when I put the 300 kit on it was heaven.
Fast forward about ten years and a Divorce, sold or lost everything. Got into street bikes hence the Blue Viffer. Fast forward another 10 years now my son is back into 3 wheelers. He was put on the front of mine when he was 13 Months old and could not get enough in those days. He had also rode street bikes with me. Anyway after he got back into 3 wheelers he would call and tell me what he was doing. Ask if I would move out to where he was. And entice me on visits with renting quads to ride Jeep trails with him and his family. Finally this last year he talked to his Step Mom and asked if we would come out if he got me another 3 wheeler.
So he went and did it he got me a 1983 250r with a 300 kit. He was going to build it up and invite me out to Little Sahara Mosh 8. Well he didn't quite make it. He passed on in November.
I decided to keep the bike and get it back together properly with help from one of his friends. This is going to be my therapy Bike. I am going to be the Old Guy back on the sand and hopefully will have it together and not embarrass myself.

Blue Viffer

new bike

1983 at Pismo

muthey
01-05-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, I am guessing your son was a member on here or one of the other sites. I hope your 300 gives you the healing I know you deserve.

90guy
01-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Man I am sorry to hear this... Looks like its a good start for you to take your mind off of things for a while. Welcome to the forum!

Blue Viffer
01-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the condolences. Been cruising the forum for a couple of weeks looking at builds etc. The new bike is in Colorado and I have already sent a new front and rear fender, handle bars and grips, and new grab bar to the friend that is helping out. Back in the 80s we didn't have the luxury that we do today of the internet and the help from all the like minded people that are in our hobby or sport. My old 300 was running the stock carb and a DG silencer on the stock pipe. This new bike has a DG pipe and 34 mm carb. After I get it in Sept at Mosh 8 I plan on bringing it back to Oregon with me.
I am looking for advice as to Inverted front end... I saw that Kasey out of Arizona who builds incredible trikes put a kx80 front on one of his, also there was a build that the guy had used 1800 vtx upper and lower triples in his build with some really nice inverts. I put a RC51 front on my 99vfr so I am able to change things around for a better ride and handling. What is suggested for a good dune play trike as far as front end? Would a 3rd gen be the better way to go as far as the front? I also would like some advice on the rear. Would a custom +3 swinger set up for a different shock be a good way to go for dune playing not specifically hill climbing?
I would like a cushy ride as a older rider I like some suspension.
I probably will be tinkering on this trike for quite a while but the one thing I liked in the 80's was the reliability of trikes vs the sandrails that we then started playing with.

Muthy my son was on 3wheel.org and maybe here, his user name was co250rman I think.

Blue Viffer