PDA

View Full Version : CDI problems on my 84 Tecate!

alowther
01-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Hi, I live in Calgary Canada and bought the 84 250 trike as a winter project, MIK6 from the Kawie Riders forum directed me here. I did know it didn't have spark when I bought it, but must admit wasn't up on how hard it is to come by parts for it.

Had some Honda trikes a while back and was hoping to see what a two stroke with full suspension can put out. The bike seems to be in good condition other than the spark issue, and I don't want to let it die just because I cant get ignition, then again I am not going to sink $500 into ignition before finding out if the rest operates.

I have ohmed out the magneto, seems to check, and the spark coil is fine having checked it on a shop unit. The CDI is visually rough and is obviously way off of the specs from the factory service manual (i.e. some that are supposed to have resistance aren't ohming at all. Im not saying that it isnt the stator as well, but the CDI is in bad shape. Insulation on two wires right at the CDI box are broken, and it would pretty hard to solder and reinsulate given the proximity to each other. The kill switch wire from the cdi is also broken off right at the box. I wouldnt be surprised if things were shorting out between these and cooked it.

So I'll pull the flywheel and have a peek around, but still thinking this CDI needs replacement. There must have been other bikes and years this CDI was used on. looking through ebay there are a number of CDI's that look identical for KX model bikes up to the kx400, but difficult to take the gamble.

Anybody have any leads on this? new seems impossible to find, and I would be happy for any working used.

To get this thing going assuming replacing the CDI gets me spark, I also need a kill switch, throttle cable, and twist throttle assembly if somebody is parting one out.

I have also heard that 82-88 kx250 would be compatible (aside from no lighting circut) if I got the flywheel, stator and CDI and did a complete swap. Anybody know if this is true?

Much appreciated!

MIK6
01-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Welcome to 3ww!! You will get a lot more help w your trike here than you will on kawieriders. I only go there to steer trike guys to the rite place , im pretty much done w that site.
Im sure someone will chime inand help you out!
Good luck man

MIK6
01-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Any T3 guys help this new member out? I recommend 3ww to him from kawiriders cause we'd have members that would help him.
My 1st gen is down w a bad waterpump seal, my 2nd gen runs a KX ignition, so I can't test my spare parts.

thanks guys

just ben
01-11-2014, 02:08 AM
the 84 cdi is a one off deal. 85-87t3 cdi will work just fine but the mounts need to be modified. The cdi test in the manual is just plain useless. I have tested several and not one of them has tested within spec,however they all worked fine. The stator test on the other hand,that's a different story.Even if the coils test just outside of the resistance,they will cause trouble. Post up some pics of what you are working with. These bikes are nearly 30 years old and who knows whats been done to it. It's possible you may not even have the correct parts. Oh and the kawiriders forum sucks. :welcome: to 3ww

jeswinehart
01-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Alowther and I was pm'ing with one another about this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/251406194135?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
Seems the most reasonably priced at the moment.

john

alowther
01-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the help gents.

There is a bike scrapyard in town, once it warms up I think I will go out there and see what I can find. Not expecting to find a 84 tecate, but should be able to find a coil. From posts I see that any Kawi CDI with the same number as mine will work, so that should help.

I'm gonna do that for now, as I also need a throttle cable and twist assembly and a kill switch. Im hoping I can grab all three of these and get a bit of a price break.

From there I will get the stator. Thanks for the info not to trust the multimeter with respect to the CDI, but two of the wires are split right at the box, and the kill switch lead is broken off right at the box. It will need some pretty technical soldering at a minumum so if I can find one i'll just replace it.

On the other hand if I cant find one at the wreckers, then I'll get the stator, put that in, solder up my CDI, and see if I have spark. If not then i'll replace the CDI via a Ebay or similar at that time.

I'll keep you posted.

ps. its a red 84 trike with decent plastic, good tires, compression, and the suspension seems to have some life left. So should be worth getting it going.

Much appreciated.

Adam